Quick Hits: Sabin’s FT streak ends at 42

GVL/Kevin Sielaff
#20 Ryan Sabin and head coach Ric Wesley

GVL/Kevin Sielaff

GVL/Kevin Sielaff #20 Ryan Sabin and head coach Ric Wesley

Lanthorn Staff

• Sabin’s free-throw streak ends at 42 in a row

On Thursday afternoon, Grand Valley State men’s basketball player Ryan Sabin was recognized with a spot on the Capital One Academic All-District Team.

Sabin, a senior guard, was one of just five players in the region to earn the award, which recognizes student athletes for athletic and academic performance. A finance major with almost a 3.6 GPA, Sabin is GVSU’s second leading scorer with 13.3 points per game.

The Byron Center High School product is also the GLIAC’s top free-throw shooter. He’s knocking down 91.9 percent (57-of-62) of his freebies, a top-10 percentage in the NCAA Division II this season.

On Thursday night, Sabin snapped a streak of 42 consecutive free throws made with 0:09 left to play in GVSU’s 60-54 win over Northern Michigan at Fieldhouse Arena. The stretch, a school record, spanned more than 15 games. It lasted 289 minutes and 8 seconds — 4.82 hours of game clock.

• Myers scores first goal for Team USA in Spain

It didn’t take long for Grand Valley State women’s club hockey player Kendra Myers to shine for the U.S. Women’s National University Team in the 2015 Winter World University Games in Granada, Spain.

On Thursday, Myers (Cedar Springs, Mich.) rifled a top-corner shot past China’s Wang Yuqing to gave Team USA a 1-0 lead less than four minutes into the third period of the opening game against Team China, 

China came roaring back, however, netting two third-period goals — including the game-winner with less five minutes left — for a 2-1 victory.

Myers, a sophomore forward, is one of two GVSU players on Team USA along with freshman defender Corey Robison (Weidman, Mich.).

The American scorers were also kept in check during their second game of the tournament on Saturday. The team lost to Japan, 4-1.

Team USA faces off with Spain in the final game of the preliminary round on Monday at 2 p.m. ET.