Quick hits: New men’s basketball transfer, Brandon Bean GLIAC nod, five soccer players’ All-Region honors

Louis Ricard

GVSU men’s basketball adds transfer for 2018-19 season

The Grand Valley State men’s basketball team just added another weapon to its arsenal for next year.

Head coach Ric Wesley announced that GVSU signed Holland native Demetrius Lake as a junior transfer for the 2018-19 season. Lake, a 5-foot-11-inch guard, is a true scoring threat who ranks 32nd all-time in Michigan high school basketball history with 2,069 points in his career with Holland High School.

The three-time Holland Basketball Player of the Year is the second November signee along with Luke Hyde.

Lake went to Schoolcraft College to play basketball his first year out of high school before signing with GVSU for his second year of eligibility, something Wesley is thrilled about.

“He’s a great kid, and we’re really excited to have him here fairly close to home,” Wesley said. “He was a standout at the high school stage, and we think he’ll be a pretty special player at this level, too.”

GVSU men’s basketball will play its next game against Grace Bible College on Thursday, Nov. 16, at the GVSU Fieldhouse Arena.

GVSU football’s Brandon Bean closes season with GLIAC nod

Grand Valley State’s football wide receiver Brandon Bean had a breakout performance during the Lakers’ 45-7 win over Tiffin University on Saturday, Nov. 11, earning him a GLIAC Offensive Player of the Week honor.

Bean, in his final performance in a GVSU football uniform, broke the school’s single-game record for receptions, catching 14 passes for 164 yards and scoring four touchdowns in the process. The senior dominated in every possible way, including a punt return for 49 yards.

Bean made the most of his last game wearing the white and blue uniform, but he also capped off a successful individual season once again. The senior caught 70 passes for 886 yards and 11 touchdowns while returning 15 punts for 178 yards.

In his career with GVSU, Bean became the 11th GVSU player to record more than 2,000 yards receiving. Bean is not done, as he is competing in track and field for the last time this spring to finish his collegiate career.

The GVSU football team’s season was ended after the selection committee left the Lakers out of the top seven teams in their region. The Lakers finished their season with an 8-3 overall record (7-2 GLIAC). 

GVSU soccer players earn All-Region honors

The season hasn’t stopped yet for Grand Valley State soccer as members of the team have been rewarded with D2CCAA All-Region honors.

Included in the honor list were forward Gabriella Mencotti, midfielders Tara Lierman and Dani Johnson, and defenders Cecilia Steinwascher and Shannon Quinn, who were all honored with first team selection, which qualifies them for the All-American voting.

The Lakers will continue their run for their fifth straight National Championship appearance and fourth championship in five years in the Midwest Regional Championship against the Quincy Hawks in Warrensburg, Missouri, on Friday, Nov. 17, at noon.

With a win, the Lakers would then advance to the “Elite 8” matchup Sunday, Nov. 19. If they win that matchup, the Lakers would then advance to the National Semifinals on Thursday, Nov. 30, in Kansas City, Missouri.