Laker Life briefs 11/2/17

Etchings by Tony Fitzpatrick on downtown campus

The artwork of Tony Fitzpatrick, an artist born and raised in the Chicago area, will be on display in the Grand Valley State University L.V. Eberhard Center’s West Wall Gallery from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. from Friday, Nov. 3, to March 2, 2018. Fitzpatrick was raised a Catholic and spent time as an actor, bartender and tattoo artist, all of which influenced his art pieces that were gifted to GVSU as part of a gift to the university consisting of more than 120 artworks. 

The exhibit, called “Strange & Magical Beasts: Etchings by Tony Fitzpatrick,” was inspired largely by Fitzpatrick’s childhood and imagination, as well as by the influence of his Catholic upbringing and immersion in street culture. 

For more information, contact the GVSU Art Gallery at 616-331-2563.

12-step meeting for GVSU’s Narcotics Anonymous to be held Monday, Nov. 6

The Grand Valley State University chapter of Narcotics Anonymous will be holding a 12-step meeting from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, Nov. 6, in the Kirkhof Center, Room 0073. All GVSU students, staff, faculty and community members with a desire to stop using drugs and alcohol are welcome to attend.

Narcotics Anonymous uses guidelines influenced by the 12-step program initiated by Alcoholics Anonymous and tries to help members overcome their addictions. A program promoting the complete abstinence from drugs and alcoholic substances, Narcotics Anonymous is working to make the GVSU community a place with more people living addiction-free lives.

For more information, contact the ACES Office at 616-331-2537.

‘Art Is a Drag: The Library Is Open’ remarks being held throughout November

The Grand Valley State University Drag Club is set to host an art exhibit, “Art Is a Drag: The Library Is Open,” in the Mary Idema Pew Library Learning and Information Commons Exhibition Space from Saturday, Nov. 4, to Wednesday, Nov. 29. 

During the exhibit, there will be several events held by the GVSU Drag Club to highlight the work being showcased, including live drag-show performances. Opening remarks will be made by professor Jae Basiliere of the women, gender and sexuality studies department, and refreshments will be served at the opening of the exhibit.

For more information, contact Kaylee Britton at [email protected].

High School Vocal Day

The Grand Valley State University Department of Music, Theatre and Dance will be hosting a vocal day for high school students from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday, Nov. 3, which will be held in the Haas Center for Performing Arts.

During the event, high school students who attend will learn vocal techniques, performance and audition techniques, and about careers in the fields of music and vocal health. In conjunction, the attending students will be able to watch current GVSU vocal students perform.

For more information, contact the Department of Music, Theatre and Dance at 616-331-3484.