Quick Hits

Lanthorn Sports

Quick Hits

By Lanthorn Sports ([email protected])

GVSU soccer beats Ashland 3-0 on senior day

The Grand Valley State Women’s Soccer team remained undefeated yesterday, as they were able to beat the Ashland Eagles 3-0 in what could be their final home game of the season.

The game started off well for GVSU, as an own goal in the first two minutes of the contest by Ashland helped the Lakers to an early lead. They never looked back, as Caitie Baron scored on a pass from Cecelia Steinwascher in the 20th minute before Tara Lierman scored off a rebound from a saved penalty kick in the 83rd minute.

It was a bit of a bittersweet day for the Lakers, as seniors Lierman, Madz Ham, Lindsay Ebeling and Kristy Gomez were honored for their commitment to the program before the contest.

With the win, the Lakers improve to 14-0-1 on the year, and they will travel to Ferris State on Friday, Oct. 19 for a tough match with the Bulldogs. That game is set to start at 4 p.m.

GVSU women’s hockey falls in season opener to McKendree 1-0

The Grand Valley State DII Women’s Ice Hockey team opened their season with 1-0 loss to the McKendree Bearcats on Saturday, Oct. 13 at the Georgetown Ice Center.

While the game was scoreless in regulation, the GVSU defense finally cracked in the overtime period, as sophomore Dakota Peterson scored the lone goal of the game to win it.

McKendree goalie Jazmin Malinowski stopped all Grand Valley State shot attempts to record her second shutout of the season.

GVSU looks improve upon this loss on Nov. 3 and 4 when they travel to Lindenwood University-Belleville for a weekend doubleheader with the Lynx. Saturday’s game starts at 7:30 p.m., while Sunday’s game is set to begin at 12:45 p.m.

Tennis player Nicole Heiniger wins GV Student-Athlete of the Week

After seeing a lot of success in her senior season, Nicole Heiniger was finally able to earn GV Student-Athlete of the Week this week.

The Indiana native and Munster High School alumna was selected to the All-GLIAC All-Academic Excellence team in her sophomore and junior season, as well as being a ITA Scholar Athlete award winner in both seasons.

Heiniger is on a bit of a hot streak this season, as she hasn’t lost a singles match all season long, winning a total of 17 sets as of Saturday, Oct. 13. She has also managed to come up with a winning record in doubles, as both she and Madison Ballard have finished 5-3 in doubles matches this season, including winning the most recent matches against Michigan Tech and Ashland.

Heiniger and the rest of the Lakers look to remain undefeated on the season as they hit the road this weekend for a match with Saginaw Valley State on Saturday, Oct. 20, as well as a match at Northwood on Sunday, Oct. 21 to close out the regular season.

Varsity Schedule

Football

Saturday, 12 p.m., @ Davenport

Soccer

Friday, 4 p.m., @ Ferris State

Sunday, 12 p.m., @ Northwood

Volleyball

Friday, 7 p.m, Home vs Ashland

Saturday, 4 p.m., Home vs Wayne State