News briefs 4/5/18

Search firm selected for Haas’ replacement 

The Grand Valley State University Board of Trustees has selected search firm Storbeck, Pimentel and Associates (SPA) to aid the presidential search advisory committee (PSAC) in locating a replacement for GVSU’s fourth president, Thomas Haas.

The PSAC, along with SPA representatives, will conduct listening sessions on Thursday, April 12, and Friday, April 13, for GVSU community members to voice their opinions. 

On Thursday, April 12, a pair of sessions will take place on GVSU’s Pew Campus. The first will take place from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the L. William Seidman Center Forum (1008 SCB) for students, faculty and staff. The second session will take place from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the same location for alumni and the general public. 

On Friday, April 13, the PSAC will hold sessions in Allendale. The first will take place from noon to 1:30 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center Grand River Room for students, faculty and staff, followed by another session for faculty and staff from 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. in the same room. 

The sessions are designed to allow the PSAC to hear the GVSU community’s desired qualities in Haas’ replacement. Haas will remain GVSU president until June 30, 2019.

GVSU carillons toll 39 times for MLK anniversary

To commemorate the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s assassination, both the Cook Carillon Tower and Beckering Family Tower at Grand Valley State University tolled 39 times on Wednesday, April 4. 

King was assassinated in Memphis at the age of 39 on April 4, 1968. The GVSU towers were a part of a national commemoration, which took place at 7 p.m.

Campus sirens to be tested Friday, April 6

Grand Valley State University’s Allendale Campus will conduct monthly Ottawa County tornado/outdoor siren tests on Friday, April 6, at noon. In the case of actual inclement weather, the tests will be postponed. Those on campus should continue in their typical manner. For more information on university safety policies and shelter areas, visit www.gvsu.edu/shelter

Relay for Life taking place on campus

Grand Valley State University will host Relay for Life, a 12-hour event to raise awareness of cancer. The event will begin Friday, April 6, at 6 p.m. and continue until Saturday, April 7, at 6 a.m. in the GVSU Fieldhouse Arena. 

Office of Multicultural Affairs holding Pow Wow

The Grand Valley State University Office of Multicultural Affairs will hold a “Celebrating All Walks of Life Pow Wow” on Saturday, April 7, and Sunday, April 8. 

The Saturday session will commence at 11 a.m. and end at 8 p.m. The event will go from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday.

The event will feature Native American dancers and drummers, crafts, traditional Native American food and a silent auction.