Laker Life Briefs 3/17/19

Amy McNeel

GV writing and jewelry students join for collaborative exhibition 

Thursday, April 4 is the opening of a collaborative exhibit between two Grand Valley State University Departments. The exhibit, titled “Desire: Storytellers/Storymakers” is a partnership between GVSU writing students in advanced fiction and creative nonfiction courses and students in the Intermediate Jewelry and Metalsmithing course. 

Each year, the Intermediate Jewelry and Metalsmithing course has a narrative jewelry assignment where they make a piece of jewelry that encompassed a story. This is the first year that the story selections are pieces written by GVSU students. 

The exhibit is open from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. in the Calder Art Center Padnos Gallery through Friday, April 5. A reception for the exhibit is being held on Thursday, April 4 from 5 to 7 p.m. All GVSU students, faculty and staff are welcome to attend. 

Author Meredith Broussard to discuss her book, “Artificial Unintelligence”

On Tuesday, March 26, author Meredith Broussard is giving a one-hour presentation for Grand Valley State University’s Big Data Initiative. The event is taking place from 1 to 2 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center Pere Marquette 2204. 

Broussard is author of the book Artificial Unintelligence which, according to the book description, is “A guide to understanding the inner workings and outer limits of technology and why we should never assume that computers always get it right.” At the talk, Broussard will highlight the key ideas and themes from her book. The event is free and open to the public. 

GV to participate in Community Outreach Week

Community Outreach Week (COW) is Saturday, March 23 through Saturday, March 30. During this week, Lakers have the chance to come together, volunteer and assist in projects around Michigan. 

COW is sponsored by the Alumni Association and the Community Service Learning Center. Last year, over 700 people volunteered. This year, Lakers can volunteer for over 35 projects. Students can also create a new project and open it up for others to join. 

Students who volunteer during COW can record their hours and sign up for projects at www.gvsu.edu/cow.