Dawson develops quickly for GVSU

GVL/Kevin Sielaff
#23 Kayla Dawson

GVL / Kevin Sielaff

GVL/Kevin Sielaff #23 Kayla Dawson

Nick DeMaagd

Desire. It’s a quality that defines each and every action Kayla Dawson makes on and off the court.

A sophomore forward for the Grand Valley State women’s basketball team, Dawson and her teammates were asked to choose a word they wanted to embody during the season in and out of practice.

“I want to be a leader on the court and at Grand Valley,” Dawson said. “I try to live out the word ‘desire’ in everything I do.”

Hailing from De Pere, Wis., Dawson spent three years in high school amassing a solid career as both an offensive and defensive leader on the court. Her dominance on the court earned her multiple accolades and, as a two-year captain, she led her team to the state championship in 2012.

Dawson’s career didn’t stop there however, as she also participated in track and led her volleyball team to the state finals her sophomore and junior years. She was on track for an impressive debut at GVSU but, when her freshman year arrived, excitement was replaced with somewhat of a setback.

Faced with riding the bench early in the season, Dawson went to work. Her desire to play on the court became the driving force behind her swift rise through the ranks.

“She was the first one in the gym and the last one to leave,” said GVSU coach Janel Burgess. “She didn’t play until December but she refused to accept not playing much.”

Before her time on the court could truly begin, Dawson was faced with having to improve every aspect of her game. From outside shooting to low-post defense, Dawson spent countless hours in the gym practicing. That dedication would soon pay off in the team’s game at Ohio Dominican, where she tallied 11 points.

She would go on to score in double figures for the next 11 games, and ended the season with the second-most points (9.8) and steals (23) per game. Her 4.8 rebounds per game average was the third-highest on the team.

“I knew she wasn’t a typical freshman,” said guard Meryl Cripe, who is now a senior. “She loves the game more than anyone else and has always had a competitive edge.”

Cripe also said that since Dawson knew playing time wouldn’t be handed to her, she would have to get after it and work to become a consistent offensive weapon. Dawson’s teammates have continued to challenge her during practice as well because they’re just as competitive.

“It’s in our nature to be aggressive,” Dawson said. “But when practice is done that competitiveness stays on the court.”

Since her freshman year at GVSU, Dawson has been striving to meet the expectations her coaches and peers have continuously set for her. This past summer, she was challenged by Burgess to become more of a distributor and 3-point shooter in order to become “the whole package.”

“The strength she carries herself with every day, her strong presence and hard work have taken her to greatness and will continue to in the future,” Burgess said.

Dawson’s sophomore season has become a testament to her grind and willingness to become a better all-around player. In 12 games this season, she has scored in double figures nine times and has improved her shooting percentages across the board. She is shooting 49.5 percent from the field, 55.6 percent from beyond the arc and 77.1 percent at the free-throw line.

She and junior point guard Brionna Barnett are tied for the team lead in points per game (14.0) — although the team dynamic is still the focal point for each player.

“Here we totally trust our teammates,” Barnett said. “We compete with each other but we’re always happy for those when they succeed.”

When push came to shove, Dawson proved that she could play above and beyond what was expected of her. Armed with a mentality that refuses to quit, Dawson’s desire to play the game she loves figures to make her a consistent player — and leader — for GVSU.