Quick hits: Cross country rankings, men’s golf second-place finish, club sailing golf outing

D'Angelo Starks

FloXC ranks GVSU women’s cross country No. 1 in nation

The Grand Valley State women’s cross country team was recently ranked No. 1 in the NCAA by FloXC in its 2017 women’s cross-country rankings. 

The 2016 team won the national title for GVSU, which was their fifth in the last seven years. Although they lost a two-time national championship winner in Kendra Foley, they are still expected to be a contender because of the experienced team they’re bringing into this year. 

One of these returning players is GVSU sophomore Stacey Metzger, who is coming off of a successful freshman year. She was named the GLIAC freshman of the year, placed 15th at the NCAA National Championships and was named to the All-American team. 

Also returning is Gina Patterson, who had a standout freshman year in 2015. She was also an All-American as a freshman and finished ninth at Nationals, but she did not finish the 2016 season due to injury. 

With a strong team returning, the Lakers look to replicate the success of the 2016 team in hopes to win the team’s sixth title in eight years. 

The Lakers continue their season Saturday, Sept. 30, at the Greater Louisville Classic.

GVSU men’s golf finishes second in GLIAC Invite

This weekend, the Grand Valley State men’s golf team finished second at the GLIAC Fall Invitational. The Lakers were tied for first with Wayne State after Saturday, Sept. 16, but they were not able to keep pace and fell to second, finishing with a two-day score of 581 (+5). Wayne State turned in a final score of 569 (-7).

Alex White was the standout individually for GVSU, shooting a 69 on day one and a 71 on day two and turning in a final score of 140 (-4) for the weekend. Junior Mitchell White carded the second-best score for the Lakers, as he shot a 71 and 75 for a 146 two-day total (+2) and a tie for 13th.

The men’s golf team will look to use this weekend as a learning experience and improve on it next weekend at the Findlay Invitational. 

GVSU club sailing announces golf outing

The Grand Valley State club sailing team is hosting its annual Family Weekend Golf Outing Saturday, Sept. 23.

The event is being held at the Meadows Golf Course at GVSU. Registration starts at 8 a.m., and golfing begins at 10 a.m. with a shotgun start. 

To register for the event, go to the GVSU sailing club’s Facebook page. From there, click on the link titled “see tickets.” It will then redirect you to the registration page, where any interested golfers can sign up to ensure their spot in the outing. 

In addition to the golf, players will have access to unlimited range balls, lunch at the turn, a gift bag and plenty of other prizes. 

Registration for this event is open until Thursday, Sept. 21.