News Briefs

Grand Family Network

A new organization called the Grand Family Network will serve as a resource and support system for families who have students attending Grand Valley State University. Members of the network will receive monthly newsletters about campus resources and important topics. The organization will host a tailgate event in the Fieldhouse at 5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 17. There will be a performance by the Laker marching band, President Thomas Haas and his wife Marcia and Louie the Laker will also be in attendance. To join the Grand Family Network or to purchase tickets, visit www.gvsu.edu/family.

ACES – Truth, Lies and Consequences

ACES will hold an event Monday, Sept. 19 to educate students on the effects of drugs and alcohol. The discussion will cover the impact addictive substances have on health, academics and career paths. The event will begin at 6 p.m. in Room 2270 in the Kirkhof Center. Students will learn how to make healthier and more informed choices about using alcohol and other substances. Topics covered include: healthier choices around alcohol, the true amount of a standard drink, legal consequences, impacts of illegal drug use on future career choices and financial aid and warning signs when someone may have a problem and where to find resources for help. Contact [email protected] for more information.

Leadership Lab

The Kaufman Interfaith Institution will sponsor the Made in Michigan: Interfaith Leadership Lab starting Thursday, Sept. 15. More than 50 students from the Grand Rapids area will attend the first leadership lab. Activities include a Jewish shabbat dinner, leadership training and a project with Habitat for Humanity in Kent County. The event hopes to drive interfaith collaboration and influence more interfaith opportunities and events in the future. Grand Valley State University has been recognized as one of the top five institutions focusing on interfaith work.

Native American Student Association Event

The Native American Student Association is partnering with the Office of Multicultural Affairs to host a welcome back kickoff meeting. The meeting will take place Thursday, Sept. 22 in Room 1104 of the Kirkhof Center at 5 p.m. The social gathering will include food and an opportunity to meet new people and organization members. Information on how to join the organization and upcoming events to celebrate Native American heritage and culture will be discussed. Contact [email protected] to RSVP. All reservations must be made by Monday, Sept. 19.

Study Abroad Funding Workshop

The Padnos International Center will host a study abroad funding workshop on Friday, Sept. 16 to help educate students on how to fund their trips abroad. Students hoping to study during semester or yearlong programs will learn about funding options such as financial aid, scholarships, grants, loans, fundraising and deferred payment options. Students will have the opportunity to ask any questions regarding funding for any study abroad program offered. All students thinking of studying in another country are encouraged to attend. The event will take place in Lake Ontario Hall Room 130 at 2 p.m. Visit www.gvsu.edu/pic for more information.