News Briefs 3/11

Nick Moran

New scholarship honors retired marketing professor of nearly 40 years

Grand Valley State University recently announced the establishment the Bennet L. Rudolph Endowed Marketing Scholarship to honor the retired marketing professor. 

Rudolph, who worked at GVSU from 1973-2010, was honored for his student-centered approach that touched nearly 10,000 students during his time at the university.

The scholarship itself will be awarded to junior and senior marketing majors who express a need for further financial aid. Applicants must have at least a 3.5 GPA, but preferably above a 3.7. 

Candidacy packets for student senate elections due March 18

Student senate is inviting those interested in joining their body to pick up and fill out candidacy packets for their upcoming election. Interested students who have not picked up their packet should receive one from the Office of Student Life or the Student Senate Office.

To complete their packet, potential candidates must fill out an information sheet, collect signatures from students and faculty and get their photo taken when the packet is turned it. Completed packets are due back on Monday, March 18 at the Student Senate Office.

For candidacy requirements, regulations and tips for campaigning, visit www.gvsu.edu/studentsenate/vote. 

GV named voter friendly campus by national organization

The Campus Vote Project and National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA) selected 123 colleges and universities across the country to be recognized for their support of students to register and vote in the 2018 election. Grand Valley State University earned its spot on the list this year for the university’s third time.

The 2018 GVSU Votes! initiative and the Campus Democratic Engagement Coalition organized and hosted a variety of activities and discussions to promote the upcoming elections. The initiative also earned NASPA’s 2019 Gold Excellence Award for Civic Learning and Democratic Engagement.

These combined efforts resulted in over 800 students registering to vote directly due to activities and services. 

GVSU also encouraged students to vote on election day through the implementation of “Voter Vans” which took students to Georgetown and Allendale Township voting locations.

GV’s Global Trade Center hosts 20th Automotive Suppliers Symposium

Grand Valley State University’s Van Andel Global Trade Center hosted the 20th West Michigan Automotive Suppliers Symposium on March 7 in its Loosemore Auditorium. The event focused on educating business owners and managers on trends and forecasts in the automotive industry.

Keynote speakers this year included North American GHSP President Dave Jerovsek and GHSP CTO Mark Smeyers. Other speakers contributed their experience in consulting and forecasting in the automotive industry or industries directly related to it.