News briefs 1/8/2018

Career Center to hold event on finding campus employment

The Grand Valley State University Career Center will hold an event designed to assist students with finding employment on campus on Tuesday, Jan. 9, from 3:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Holton-Hooker Learning and Living Center, Room 205A. 

Students will have the chance to apply and discuss their current job prospects with an adviser from the Career Center. Others looking for work can visit the LakerJobs website at www.gvsu.edu/careers/lakerjobs-18.htm.

Engineering co-op recruitment fair to take place

The second floor of the L.V. Eberhard Center will serve as a meeting space for engineering students and employees to build connections and network to help them obtain co-op positions on Tuesday, Jan. 16, from noon to 2 p.m.

Students should arrive in professional attire with resumes and material to take notes with. Those attending are advised to be prepared for on-the-spot interviews and to remember to collect contact information from employers to write thank-you letters.

Hauenstein Center to hold event during MLK Commemoration Week 

Grand Valley State University will take time to remember Martin Luther King Jr. during the “Christy Coleman: How Shall We Remember” event. The Hauenstein Center for Presidential Studies, in partnership with GVSU’s Division of Inclusion and Equity, will be hosting the event, which will focus on American memory, both past and present.

Coleman is the CEO of the American Civil War Museum in Richmond, Virginia, and the former president of the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History in Detroit. She will lead the discussion and will be offering her own insight into the topic.

This is a free event that is open to the public. To RSVP and find more information on this event, visit www.hauensteincenter.org/winter-2018-schedule/.

GVSU appoints new vice president of finance

Grand Valley State University President Thomas Haas announced Tuesday, Jan. 2, that the institution had named Gregory Sanial as vice president of finance. Sanial currently serves as the chief of staff for the United States Coast Guard Fifth District, where he oversees an $11 billion budget.  

In a statement to GVNow, Sanial said, “I am honored and incredibly excited to accept this appointment. I am eager to begin working with President Haas; members of the Board of Trustees; and the president’s cabinet, faculty, staff, students, and all external and community stakeholders at Grand Valley to support the university’s focus on student-centered teaching and learning. My family and I can’t wait to relocate to the Grand Rapids area and become part of this vibrant community.” 

Sanial will begin his role as the vice president of finance in the spring, and will formally be introduced to the GVSU Board of Trustees during their February meeting.