Arts briefs 9/11/17

GVSU Simulation Center Showcase to be held Monday, Sept. 11

For Grand Valley State University students, programs related to health and realistic simulations can be beneficial to the learning process. 

The Cook-DeVos Center for Health Sciences (CHS) will show off the mannequins, equipment, task trainer and services offered through the GVSU Simulation Center to showcase what GVSU can do for students in health fields.

The showcase will be held Monday, Sept. 11, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in CHS. Students, regardless of major, are invited to attend and see what GVSU has done to benefit the learning of students. 

For more information, call Katie Branch at 616-331-5911.

Cabaret auditions to be held Tuesday, Sept. 12

Grand Valley State University students who enjoy performing may be interested in the Cabaret auditions, which will be held Tuesday, Sept. 12, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the Linn Maxwell Keller Black Box Theatre in the new performing arts center. 

The auditions are open to all students who are interested, regardless of major. Students who do choose to audition will be asked to perform a monologue and a short song, preferably from a modern musical. Monologues will be assigned to students who do not have one. 

Students can sign up in person at the Box Office in the Thomas J. and Marcia J. Haas Center for Performing Arts or by calling 616-331-2300 or emailing [email protected]. Callback dates will be announced at a later time.

GVSU Campus for Consent member training

The Grand Valley State University organization Campus for Consent will have a new member training for interested students Wednesday, Sept. 13, from 8 a.m. to noon in Room 0072 of the Kirkhof Center.

Campus for Consent is based on peer education, and the organization advocates for a campus that is free of sexual assault. The organization hosts programs like “Take Back the Night,” “The Clothesline Project” and GVSU’s Sexual Assault Awareness Week. The organization also hosts educational programs in classrooms across campus.

For more information, contact Betsie Schoedel at 616-331-2748 or [email protected].

Culture and Coffee: Navigating Vietnam

On Thursday, Sept. 14, from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. at the Van Andel Global Trade Center (VAGTC) in Grand Rapids, there will be a training session on how to navigate Vietnam for business professionals. 

The training session is one in a series of many happening throughout 2017, all of which cover aspects of international business and tips for effective business practice abroad. The sessions also cover the nuanced cultural differences that professionals face when traveling overseas.

Fresh coffee and continental breakfasts will be served at the sessions, giving guests an opportunity to chat with each other.

For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/vagtc/event-index.htm.