Arts briefs 10/2/17

‘Ace That Test’ to be held Tuesday, Oct. 3

The Grand Valley State University Student Academic Success Center (SASC) will be hosting the “Ace That Test (Midterm Prep) Workshop” Tuesday, Oct. 3, from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center, Room 1104.

The workshop will focus on the three stages of test-taking and will aim to help students create a test-prep plan that will be of use in all courses a student may be enrolled in. The workshop is free and open to all GVSU students who are interested in attending.

For more information, contact SASC at 616-331-3588.

Celebrating Indigenous Peoples Day with Tonia Jo Hall

The Grand Valley State University Native American Student Association is welcoming popular comedienne and YouTuber Tonia Jo Hall to campus to help celebrate Indigenous Peoples Day.

Hall will be highlighting the push to change the name of Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples Day, which has been a change happening across the U.S. in various capacities. GVSU’s student senate also just passed a resolution to recognize Indigenous Peoples Day.

For more information on the event, contact the Office of Multicultural Affairs at [email protected].

Global Grove to be held Friday, Oct. 6

For Grand Valley State University students who are eco-friendly, international or both, the Padnos International Center (PIC) will be hosting the annual “Global Grove,” a tree-planting ceremony, Friday, Oct. 6, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Sustainable Agriculture Project.

The ceremony will recognize 17 of the partnerships held by the PIC with students who are either from partner universities or attended them as part of a study abroad experience. The event is open to all, with transportation, drinks and food provided.

For more information, contact Libby Jawish at [email protected].

STAGE presents ‘Yikes!’ Friday, Oct. 6

Grand Valley State University student organization STAGE will be running its production of “Yikes!” for two days in Kirkhof Center’s Area 51.

“Yikes!” is written, directed and performed by GVSU students, who also control the technological aspects of the performance. The production is a compilation of several short plays, most notably sketch comedies. 

The free event will occur Friday, Oct. 6, and Saturday, Oct. 7, starting at 7 p.m.

For more information about “Yikes!” or STAGE, contact [email protected].