Dancing for donations

GVL / Emily Frye  
Dance Festival Rehearsal

GVL / Emily Frye Dance Festival Rehearsal

Shelby Pendowski

Each semester, the Grand Valley State University Dance Troupe partners with a nonprofit to give back to the community, usually by taking donations. This semester, the group paired with Kids’ Food Basket to collect various items.

“Dance Troupe decided to donate to the Kids’ Food Basket this semester because recently we have not donated to an organization that dealt with food,” said GVSU Dance Troupe Vice President Jessica Sevic. “It was something different that we haven’t done in the past few semesters. Since we donated to the American Cancer Society last semester, we felt it was important to donate to something dealing with children.”

The dancers began preparation for the spring dance recital in January, and each dancer attends a weekly 40-minute class to perfect their routines. The recital “Move Your Feet So Kids Can Eat” will feature about 30 choreographed pieces. For many seniors, such as Sevic, Dance Troupe President Paige Redner and Secretary Caty Hoffman, this will be their final bow with the group.

“This is my last recital, so I am really excited but also really sad,” Redner said. “Dance Troupe is this really big organization, but I feel like we are all really close because we share something we love to do and it is just fun. I am just excited to go out there and dance one last time with all the people that I have become so close with.”

The dancers will take to the stage of Allendale High School on April 10 at 7 p.m. and on April 11 at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tickets are $5 and can be purchased at the door, at the GVSU 20/20 Desk or from a Dance Troupe member. Children 12 and younger are free.

“It (partnering with charities) just kind of gives us a purpose for our dance,” Hoffman said. “I don’t really know how it began, but it kind of just gives us a purpose. And, instead of doing nothing with the money and stuff that we raise at recitals, we can donate it.”

Attendees are asked to bring non-perishable food items; juice boxes; snacks, such as crackers, raisin boxes and pudding and gelatin cups; individual fruit; creamy peanut butter and zip-lock bags for the Kids’ Food Basket wish list. Although people are encouraged to bring items for the wish list, the group will also take monetary donations.

“I think it is really great because there are so many people that get to have fun and share what they love to do,” Redner said. “Not only do we get to do dance and have fun doing that, but our shows always donate money to organizations, and we are very connected in our community and I think that is great as well.”

Tickets are now on sale. For more information, visit http://on.fb.me/1DzrQtz, or contact Hoffman at [email protected].