News Briefs 4/1

Nick Moran

Independent investigation deems air pollution levels safe 

During a public meeting March 29, Grand Valley State University officials reported that they had conclusive evidence from their independent investigation on campus air quality that nearby Viant Medical’s pollution was found to be safe.

The university hired public firm Fishbeck, Thompson, Carr & Huber, Inc. to conduct air quality tests in the Seidman Center, The Bicycle Factory, the DeVos Center, and Winter Hall. Each location was tested twice, a month apart, and confirmed that potential pollutants were in the safe range. 

The meeting highlighted both the results of the tests as well as the practices, with the standard for testing the air being established by the Environmental Protection Agency and  Michigan Department for Environmental Quality (MDEQ). 

The report assured guests that it is “highly unlikely” that students, faculty or staff will contract cancer due to ethylene oxide emissions from Viant. The group cited the risk of developing cancer for a four-year student as six in one million. 

While GVSU has publicly declared their relief after testing their facilities, the MDEQ is still investigating and consulting with cancer databases. 

Celebrating Women Awards highlights campus leaders

Grand Valley State University announced 11 scholarships and awards during its annual Celebrating Women Awards. The event aimed to promote leading women in and around GVSU’s campus.

The awards were presented by Positive Black Women; Gayle R. Davis Center for Women and Gender Equity; Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies; and the Women’s Commission.

Positive Black Women gave out the most scholarships, acknowledging five students: Tova Jones, Lillian White, Deonquanic Hayes, Imani Gissendanner and Robert Webb.

Additionally, the Center for Women and Gender Studies gave its Outstanding Student Award to Maddie Rhoades, Edith Torres and El Boynton. Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies presented its Jean Enright Scholarship to Miranda Bryan.

Faculty and staff were also recognized. Various awards were given to Mary Karpen, Susan Howard, Amanda Syers and Bonnie Peterson. They were credited for serving students and supporting the feminine community at the university.

Annis Water Resources Institute hosts discussion on alternative power

The Annis Water Resources Institute at Grand Valley State University hosted a presentation on wind power March 29. Jeff Kehne, chief development officer of Magellan Wind, discussed the applications and current use of offshore, deep-water power from Lake Michigan.

The open speech was held in GVSU’s Lake Michigan Center at the Annis Water Resources Institute in Muskegon. 

Kehne discussed how his company is moving forward in researching and creating offshore wind energy farms. Magellan is currently looking into making the technology equipped to deal with ice and Great-Lake-specific conditions.

Following their studies, the company looks to go wide-scale with their findings, potentially into the commercial realm.