News briefs 3/19/18

Student senate funding requests due soon

Grand Valley State University’s student senate announced that funding requests for student organizations between July 1 and Oct. 1 need to be submitted between Monday, March 19, and Monday, April 9.

An email on behalf of Carly Aller, vice president of finance for student senate, was sent to all GVSU students with a registered OrgSync account on Tuesday, March 13, with additional details.

Discussion on navigating gender roles abroad taking place

A discussion about navigating gender roles in foreign countries will take place Wednesday, March 21, from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Mary Idema Pew Library Multipurpose Room. Titled “Navigating Gender Roles Abroad,” the panel will consist of former Peace Corps volunteers and study-abroad faculty/alumni.

The full story can be found at www.lanthorn.com.

Keynote to be delivered on Transgender Day of Remembrance

Chris Vargas, the executive director of the Museum of Transgender Hirstory & Art (MOTHA), will speak at Grand Valley State University on Tuesday, March 20, for the Transgender Day of Remembrance.

Vargas will speak at 4:30 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center, Room 2263. The speech is a part of Women’s History Month at GVSU. Vargas will speak about MOTHA’s evolution and the arduous process of founding it, as well as future projects.

The event is sponsored by the Milton E. Ford LGBT Center and is LIB 100-and 201-approved.

Author speaking at GVSU

Victor Strecher, author of “Life on Purpose: How Living for What Matters Most Changes Everything,” will speak at Grand Valley State University on Wednesday, March 21, at 6 p.m. in the DeVos Center Loosemore Auditorium, located on GVSU’s Pew Campus. 

The lecture, which shares the same title as Strecher’s book, is taking place for the fifth annual Distinguished Wesorick Lectureship at GVSU. The event is sponsored by the Bonnie Wesorick Center for Health Care Transformation, a part of GVSU’s Kirkhof College of Nursing. 

Those interested in attending the event, which is open to the public, can register at www.gvsu.edu/wesorick

Secchia breakfast lecture taking place this week

Grand Valley State University will host the Peter Secchia Breakfast Lecture on Wednesday, March 21, at 7:30 a.m. in the L. William Seidman Center, located on GVSU’s Pew Campus. The theme of the event is “Convergence of Automation and Work.”

The event will start with a light breakfast, with the lecture beginning at 8 a.m. Speakers for the event will be Fred Keller, founder and chair of Cascade Engineering; John Kennedy, president and CEO of Autocam Medical; and Spencer Stiles, president of Stryker Instruments. The event will be moderated by Michael DeWilde, director of the Koeze Business Ethics Initiative at GVSU. 

The event is sponsored by the Seidman College of Business.