Laker Life briefs 9/14/17

Ninth annual Paleo-Olympics to take place Friday, Sept. 15

Grand Valley State University students with an interest in history, archaeology, anthropology or other aspects of the past are invited to attend GVSU’s ninth annual Paleo-Olympics, where they will learn how to play ancient games, spin yarn, make hieroglyphic cookies and more.

The event, taking place from noon to 3 p.m. Friday, Sept. 15, on the North Lawn of the Mary Idema Pew Library Learning and Information Commons, is an interdisciplinary event that features interactive activities and demonstrations.

For more information, contact Melissa Morison at 616-331-3231.

STAGE auditions

The Grand Valley State University Student Theatrical Arts Guild for Entertainment (STAGE) is set to hold auditions Thursday, Sept. 14, from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. and Friday, Sept. 15, from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Auditions for the organization’s sketch comedy series are open to students regardless of acting experience. Students who choose to audition aren’t required to have a piece prepared.

For more information on STAGE auditions, email [email protected].

YBBW annual back-to-school picnic

You Beautiful Black Woman (YBBW) will be holding the organization’s annual back-to-school picnic Saturday, Sept. 16, from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on the lawn of the Mary Idema Pew Library Learning and Information Commons.

The event’s theme this year, a throwback to the ‘90s, is titled “Blast from the Past.” The picnic is open to all students and will focus on having current YBBW members interact with the campus community to spread the word about YBBW.

Apart from providing food, the event will also feature games and prizes.

For more information, email [email protected].

VMA ArtPrize preview reception

A group of Grand Valley State University students have entered wearable art into ArtPrize 2017 and have opened up a preview reception event, being held Saturday, Sept. 16, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. 

The group of current and recent students entered six pieces representing different approaches to bodily adornment while also highlighting the intent of the artist behind the piece. 

The pieces are shown in the context envisioned by the artist, being used or worn in a way that is representative of the artist’s vision. 

For more information, contact the GVSU Art Gallery at 616-331-2536.