Arts briefs 9/18/17

ArtPrize Nine opening ceremony

Members of the Grand Valley State University community are set to be involved in the opening ceremony for ArtPrize Nine, including Louie the Laker, the GVSU Laker Marching Band, GVSU President Thomas Haas and other special guests, who will be announced in the near future.

The ceremony will be held in the L.V. Eberhard Center Wednesday, Sept. 20, starting at 6:15 p.m. The GVSU Laker Marching Band, along with the GVSU Dance Company, will perform twice, once under the direction of Haas. The concert will begin on the Pew Campus and end at Rosa Parks Circle.

For more information, contact the GVSU Art Gallery at 616-331-2536.

Political science movie night

For students at Grand Valley State University who are interested in the U.S. presidency or politics, the political science department will be holding an event showing the film “The Final Days,” which illustrates the Watergate scandal and President Richard Nixon’s presidency.

The showing will take place Thursday, Sept. 21, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in Lake Superior Hall. There will be time for pre- and post-film discussion at the showing, which is LIB 100-approved.

For more information, contact Donald Zinman at [email protected].

GVSU Family Weekend

From Friday, Sept. 22, to Sunday, Sept. 24, families of Grand Valley State University students are welcome to visit GVSU for Family Weekend. With interactive events set for the entire weekend, this may be a chance for GVSU students to reduce the amount of worry their parents may have.

Family Weekend is a way for students to show their families what their lives at GVSU are like, what kind of activities happen around campus, what their dorm or apartment looks like and what a typical weekend in the GVSU community is like. Activities will occur in Allendale, Grand Rapids and even Grand Haven.

For more information, go to www.gvsu.edu/familyweekend/ or email [email protected].

Study abroad funding workshop for summer programs

With Grand Valley State University having extensive options for study abroad programs, it may not come as a shock that the GVSU Padnos International Center has set up funding workshops throughout the year for students looking into spending time in foreign countries.

A funding workshop specifically for summer programs is set to be held Friday, Sept. 22, from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. in Lake Ontario Hall, Room 130. The event, which will also occur at the same time Friday, Oct. 11, and Friday, Nov. 10, will help guide students on their way to finding funding for spring/summer program options.

For more information, contact Meaghann Myers-Smith at [email protected].