Arts Briefs

Kate Branum

Poverty Simulation

As college students, we may not have a lot of money, but most of us have no idea what it’s like to live in real poverty.

The Seidman College of Business at Grand Valley State University will be hosting a poverty simulation workshop Monday, Feb. 27 rom 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the L. William Seidman Center, Room SCB 1008 on the Allendale Campus.

This event is designed to provide insight into what living in poverty is like. Participants will have an opportunity to role-play the lives of various family types living in poverty.

Dominican Music and Dance Night

The Spanish club La Tertulia and Latin American Studies Program at Grand Valley State University will be hosting a Dominican Music and Dance night Monday, Feb. 27 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Honors College Multipurpose Room on the Allendale Campus. This celebratory event features music played by renowned musician and ethnomusicologist Paul Austerlitz as well as free refreshments and memorable conversations.

ARISE Film and Panel Discussion

The Wealthy Theater in downtown Grand Rapids will host a screening of ARISE Wednesday, March 1 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. The film portrays the stories of extraordinary women around the world who are making impactful efforts to heal relevant injustices. After the film, a live panel discussion will give audience members a chance to ask questions and explore about the film’s powerful message can be applied to the West Michigan community.

Tickets will be sold for $5 in advance and $7 at the door, or free for students who bring along their school ID.

Hidden Environmental Heroines Lecture and Discussion

Celebrate the achievements of Winona LaDuke, environmental and women’s activist and other influential figures, with a keynote lecture and awards reception Thursday, March 2 from 5:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the Loosemore Auditorium in the DeVos Center.

Following the keynote, a paid reception stocked with celebratory drinks and appetizers welcomes guests in for networking and an opportunity to meet with LaDuke.

The keynote speech and award ceremony is free to the public. Tickets for the reception are $45 in advance and $50 at the door.