GVSU summer staff updates

Kayla Tucker

Dean of students goes on permanent leave

In May, Grand Valley State University’s Vice Provost for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Eileen Sullivan requested a leave of absence and the college granted it, according to GVSU President Thomas Haas. Sullivan started working at GVSU in July of 2016. Her leave began Tuesday, May 9. Stephen Glass has since stepped in as acting vice provost for student affairs and dean of students.

New provost takes reins

After months of interviews, GVSU decided to hire one of its own, Maria Cimitile, as the new provost and executive vice president for academic and student affairs. The former provost, Gayle Davis, worked at the college for 15 years and ended her time at the university in June. Cimitile, who has worked at GVSU for more than 20 years, seven of those being in the Office of the Provost, stepped right in.

“(Cimitile) has the appropriate experience in many areas of this position already, having been working in the Office of the Provost for many years and in many roles,” Davis said. “She is intelligent, creative and dedicated.”

New VP for academic affairs

In July, Cimitile announced the new vice president for academic affairs, Ellen Schendel. She is a professor of writing and has been a senator on the executive committee of the University Academic Senate for 10 years. In her new position, she will be responsible for developing and overseeing curriculum, as well as working with faculty governance and administration across campus.