News briefs 3/26/18

Reporter who broke Nassar story speaking at GVSU Monday, March 26

Indiannapolis Star reporter Marisa Kwiatkowski will participate in a pair of Q&A sessions at Grand Valley State University on Monday, March 26. Kwiatkowski was among the lead reporters for the Star who broke the Larry Nassar-USA Gymnastics sexual abuse story. 

Kwiatkowski will lead in the first session in Allendale at 1 p.m. in the Black Box Theatre in the Haas Center for Performing Arts. The second session will take place at 6 p.m. in the DeVos Center’s Loosemore Auditorium, located on the Pew Campus. 

Students will have the opportunity to hear from Kwiatkowski, who conducts investigative stories related to topics such as child abuse, human trafficking and other social problems.

The event is the first installment in the GVSU School of Communications’ Robert Mayberry Comm-Unity Series. 

Author speaking at GVSU on leadership

Grand Valley State University will host author James Robilotta for a discussion titled “Leading Imperfectly: The Value of Being Imperfect for Leaders, Professionals, and Human Beings.” 

The lecture will take place on Tuesday, March 27, at 7 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center’s Room 2250 (Grand River Room). Robilotta authored a book, which shares the same title as the lecture. 

The lecture will discuss how effective leaders are open to feedback and criticism. The event is LIB 100-approved.

Democracy 101 event to explore effects of Common Ground Initiative

The Democracy 101 series at Grand Valley State University will return on Wednesday, March 28 for a discussion on the relationship between the Hauenstein Center at GVSU and its Common Ground Initiative. 

The event will take place at noon in the Kirkhof Center’s Room 2266. At the event, speakers will discuss the need for discussions on the U.S.’ rapidly changing political landscape. The event is both LIB 100- and 201-approved.

The Community Service Learning Center, a division of GVSU’s Office of Student Life, sponsors the Democracy 101 series.

GVSU professor to lecture on pioneers of spirituality and health

On Thursday, March 29, at 1 p.m. Western Michigan University professor Brian Wilson will speak at Grand Valley State University on two Michigan historical figures.

The event, titled “Michigan Pioneers of Spirituality and Health: Dr. John Harvey Kellogg and John E. Fetzer,” will take place in the Mary Idema Pew Library’s Multipurpose Room. 

In his lecture, Wilson will speak on the lives of Kellogg and Fetzer, two famous Michiganders who were able to combine aspects of spirituality of health to create successful businesses.

The event is both LIB 100- and 201-approved. 

PIC photo contest reception this week

Grand Valley State University’s Padnos International Center (PIC) will conclude its PIC-Pics Study Abroad Photo Competition with a reception for the winners on Tuesday, March 27, from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. The winning photos will become a part of PIC’s permanent gallery.