News Briefs 2/4

Nick Moran

Coat drive organized to keep students warm in freezing temperatures

With the below freezing temperatures that hit GVSU last week, it’s important to remember those who may be in need during some of the coldest months of the year. 

A coat drive is being held throughout winter semester as a helpful measure for student. The coats are being kept in room 133 in Lake Michigan Hall for those looking to make a selection. The drive is organized by the Brooks College of Interdisciplinary Studies, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and the Department of Movement Science as well as the student resource pantry, Replenish.

Boxes have been placed around campus to accept gently used coats. Donations can be brought to the following locations: Lake Michigan Hall room 133, Kindschi Hall of Science room 4400-A, Mackinac Hall room C-1-140, Steelcase Library, South D lobby and Recreation Center room D135. 

Those in need of resource assistance can reach out to the Gayle R. Davis Center for Women and Gender Equity.

GV senior named Newsmaker of the Year for business startup

A Grand Valley State University marketing and entrepreneurship student was named one of the “Grand Rapids Business Journal’s” Newsmakers of the Year.

Katarina Samardzija, a senior at GVSU, was selected during an event on Friday, Feb. 1 for her business “Locker Lifestyle.” She started athletic accessory business nearly three years ago, with it winning the “startup” category at the event.

Samardzija is also the winner of $10,000 during the 2017 Dolphin Tank event held at GVSU’s L. William Seidman Center as well as its “Best in Tank” award of $1,000.

To view Samardzija’s products, visit www.lockerlifestyle.com.

Disability Support Resources moves to the Connection, increases space

Grand Valley State University’s Disability Support Resources (DSR) moved offices to the Lynn M. Blue Connection Monday, Jan. 28. 

The new location provides more accessibility for students and faculty with its increased parking and access to a bus line nearby. DSR was formerly housed in the fourth floor of Zumberge Hall. 

The new location in the second floor of the Connection will provide DSR extra space for students to conduct exams or study as needed, said DSR Director Shontaye Witcher.

GV economic analyst reveals survey findings, predictions for 2019

Following a predictably strong 2018 economy, Paul Isely, professor of economics and associate dean in the Seidman College of Business, announced the results of his local survey and predictions for 2019 on Thursday, Jan. 31. 

Overall, Isely predicts that the local economy in 2019 will continue to grow, but at a lesser rate than it saw in 2018. The main thing holding the local economy back will be business owners pulling back on their investments, which may affect trade.