News Briefs 2/11

Nick Moran

Food 4 Fines reinstated for winter semester

Food 4 Fines returns to GVSU on Monday, Feb. 11. This collaboration between Grand Valley State Police and Replenish food pantry allows Lakers with up to two parking citations to pay for their fines with donations to Replenish. 

Donation items are grouped into three tiers depending on price and size. Included in all three tiers are various food and personal care items. A full list of accepted items can be found on the GVSU Parking website. 

Valid donations must include items that are not damaged or expired. Additionally, donations are only valid for unpaid parking citations and will not be applied to other campus violations or previous citations.

Former Board of Trustee chair honored at meeting

Grand Valley State University’s Board of Trustees honored former board member David Hooker during their meeting on Friday, Feb. 8. Hooker, current president and CEO of Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park, served on the board for eight years, both as chair of the Academic and Student Affairs Committee and the board as a whole. 

“David was steadfast in his commitment to the governance of Grand Valley,” said Chair of the Board of Trustees Mary Kramer. “His insistence upon academic quality, founded in the liberal arts, reflects his belief in providing students with the best possible educational experience.”

Student senate encourages Board of Trustees amendment

On Thursday, Feb. 7, Grand Valley State University’s student senate passed a resolution calling for GVSU’s Board of Trustees to adopt former Michigan Governor Rick Snyder’s executive order that expands on Michigan’s Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act. The proposed change protects LGBT citizens from discrimination in addition to the already protected basis of race, sex, creed and more.

Because of the university’s federal funding, GVSU does not have to comply with Snyder’s executive order. The proposed change encourages the Board of Trustees to amend section 6.10, which is their purchasing policy, to ban working with companies that have a history of LGBT discrimination. 

While student senate noted that the board can self-enforce the standard, but the passed resolution recommends the creation of a fail-safe for the future. 

Professor recognized for mentorship, drive for student success

GVSU associate professor of physical education Ingrid Johnson was named Mentor of the Year by the Society of Health and Physical Educators, a national organization. Johnson’s title was earned for her dedication to mentoring and advising her students.

The award is given through nominations, which were given by two of Johnson’s students. They cited her drive to see students succeed and influence as a leader.

The award ceremony will be given during the Society of Health and Physical Educator National Convention in April.