News briefs 1/22/18

All Time Low to headline spring concert

Grand Valley State University’s Spotlight Productions announced Thursday, Jan. 18, that the band All Time Low will headline the 2018 GVSU spring concert on Thursday, April 5. It was previously announced that recording artist Gnash would serve as the opening act for the show.

Ticket information has yet to be announced by Spotlight.

‘Life Beyond the Classroom’ event taking place at Alumni House 

The Grand Valley State University African-American and Latin@ alumni chapters are leading an event titled “Life Beyond the Classroom” on Tuesday, Jan. 23, at 5:45 p.m. in the Alumni House Perry Dining Room. 

The event will feature seven GVSU alumni speakers who will lead a panel discussion. GVSU Alumni Relations and the Office of Multicultural Affairs are also collaborating on the event.

Nonprofit open house taking place Thursday, Jan. 25

The Grand Valley State University School of Public, Nonprofit and Health Administration will host an open house showcasing the school’s nonprofit program on Thursday, Jan. 25, at 4 p.m. in the DeVos Center’s University Club on the Pew Campus.

The open house will give students and non-profit professionals the opportunity to view the school’s new master of philanthropy and nonprofit leadership program. Parking is available to those who pre-register. 

Public library to host nostalgia craft night

The Grand Rapids Public Library invites you to relive the days of your childhood with an ‘80s- and ‘90s-inspired event at The Pyramid Scheme on Tuesday, Jan. 23, at 7 p.m. Participants will be taken back in time with nostalgic arts and crafts, including friendship bracelets, Spirographs and more. Participants must be at least 21 years old. For more information, visit www.grpl.org.

Historic milestone reached for Michigan brewery

Rave Associates, an Ann Arbor beer distributor and the first distributor of the popular Bell’s Brewery, is celebrating the milestone of selling the equivalent of 1 million cases in 2017. This is the first time in the nation that a beer distributor has reached this landmark achievement with Bell’s.

One case of beer, or 24 12 oz. cans or bottles, is the standard for a case equivalent.

“We’re grateful to Rave Associates for taking a chance on our small Michigan craft brewery 29 years ago, and we’re proud to have grown our two businesses together,” said Larry Bell, founder of Bell’s Brewery, in a press release. “From the front office to the sales team, and all stops in between, Rave Associates is committed to ensuring our beer arrives to retailers as fresh as possible.” 

QPR suicide-prevention training series

Suicide continues to be the second leading cause of death among college students. In the U.S., the death toll continues to rise, as every 15 minutes a person commits suicide. 

In light of this statistic, Grand Valley State University will host a suicide-prevention training series on Wednesday, Jan. 24, from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. in the Kirkhof Center, Room 2270. The goal of the event is to walk students through common misconceptions about suicide, help them recognize the warning signs of suicide and empower them to save lives using the nationally recognized Question, Persuade, Refer (QPR) method of suicide prevention. The program aids students in examining the issue of suicide from multiple perspectives and allows audience members to contemplate their own role in preventing suicide. This is a LIB 100-approved event.