News Briefs 11/26

Nick Moran

President Thomas Haas to host second-to-last Toast with T. Haas

Grand Valley State University President Thomas Haas will spend Thursday evening celebrating the accomplishments of this semester’s graduating class with graduates. Toast with T. Haas recognizes the journey students have taken while at GVSU and congratulates them as they move onward. 

The event, which is sponsored by the Alumni Association, also highlights students’ involvement as Lakers for a Lifetime, the ideology that GVSU alumni will always have a place at the university. 

The event is free for all graduating students. Students can RSVP through the Laker for a Lifetime website. 

Goodwill of Greater Grand Rapids CEO to speak at GV

CEO of Goodwill of Greater Grand Rapids Kathy Crosby will be presenting the story of her personal and professional life to the Cook Leadership Academy Fellows and the community. The event will be hosted at 4 p.m. in GVSU’s Loosemore Auditorium on Friday, Nov. 30.

Crosby, who began working at Goodwill as an office clerk as early as 1980, began her college career in her 30s before winning a scholarship to complete her Executive MBA. Throughout her education, Crosby stayed with Goodwill, eventually becoming the Greater Grand Rapids area CEO in 2006. 

During the presentation, Crosby will also touch on local accomplishments, including earning the ATHENA Award from the Grand Rapids Chamber of Commerce in 2011.

To RSVP for the presentation, visit the Hauenstein Center’s website.

Film discussion series focuses on inequality, health

Grand Valley State University’s University Counseling Center is continuing its new social justice film series on Thursday, Nov. 29 with a viewing of “Unnatural Causes.” The documentary series explores “racial and socioeconomic differences in health” according to “Unnatural Causes’” website. 

The GVSU film series is incorporating the documentary into a broader discussion, which also included gender and geographical differences among other lenses. Throughout the post-film discussions, participants are encouraged to find an answer to one question: is inequality making us sick?

For more information, contact [email protected] or call 616-331-3266

Fall Sustainability Showcase highlights environmental conversations

The 2018 Fall Sustainability Showcase will take place Friday, Nov. 30 in the Kirkhoff Center, with poster showings and presentations scheduled throughout the day. The showcase aims to issues and conversations surrounding environmental sustainability.

Presentations and poster subjects from GVSU faculty will include topics ranging from honey bees to environmental problem solving. 

The showcase is free and open to the public. For more information, contact [email protected]