News Briefs 8/19

Sarah Edgecomb, News Editor

GV awarded for sustainability

For its sixth year in a row, Grand Valley State University has maintained its gold status for sustainability from the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education. GVSU was the first university in Michigan to receive this status.

“We are proud to see our score continue to increase,” said Office of Sustainability Practices director Yumiko Jakobcic. 

GVSU’s Sustainable Agriculture Project, a 15 feet by 15 feet demonstration garden, was included in the report, noting that the project’s placement in the center of campus will reach more students than a farm on the outskirts of the university. The project is intended to get students thinking about agriculture on a smaller level while workshops held at the garden aim to teach students about sustainability.

Jakobcic said that the maintained gold status is rewarding to those working toward creating a more sustainable campus.

This represents the hard work of many sustainability leaders across campus,” Jakobic said. “Together, we’re able to move sustainability forward at GVSU.” 

Convocation to be held this week

To bookend welcome week Aug. 19-23, the 2019 Convocation will take place Aug. 23 at the Fieldhouse Arena. This will be President Mantella’s first convocation with GVSU after coming on campus July 1. 

The ceremony will also include speeches by Provost Maria Cimitile, Student Senate President Eric-John Szczepaniak, alumni speaker state Rep. Kyra Harris Bolden and University Academic Senate Chair Felix Ngassa. 

This celebration both welcomes new students to campus and prepares graduating students for their final year at the university. The ceremony will be held at 11:30 a.m.

GV Police Academy recruits graduate

With more than 600 in attendance, 48 recruits graduated from the academy Aug. 15. The class is the largest GVSU Police Academy class to date, composed of 37 men and 11 women. 

“You’ve answered the call of our communities and society to build positive relationships and improve the world we live in through care, awareness and a mindfulness of those around us,” President Mantella said at the ceremony.

As a state leader in police work, the police academy holds recruits to higher standards and requires more training hours than the state minimum. Seventeen graduates already hold jobs in police work and many have offers prepared for after their graduation.

Kent County Sheriff Michelle LaJoye-Young reminded graduates of their passion to help those around them.

“Your desire to serve your community isn’t common,” LaJoye-Young said. “Many of the challenges you will face will never make the news. Remembering why I chose to serve helps sustain me and inspires me to want to continue to serve.”