News Briefs 9/23

Freshman class brings high enrollment, GPA 

Grand Valley State University’s freshman class has been one of its largest at 4,301 students. The university has seen freshman enrollment at over 4,000 people for the past eight years, and the GPA for the incoming class is the highest in GVSU history.

“We welcomed an amazing class this fall,” said President Philomena Mantella. “Bright students have a lot of choices when it comes to pursuing a college degree, and they know Grand Valley delivers on its promise of a great education, while being a tremendous value.”

The freshman class also saw an increase in people of color and non-Michigan residents.

Along with retaining 84.5 percent of first-year students, GVSU’s Board of Trustees increased financial aid to 14 percent this July. 

“Students are attracted to Grand Valley because of its diversity of programs and opportunities, and we need to offer financial assistance to the promising students who need it,” said Vice President for Enrollment Lynn Blue.

Mobile voter registration to visit GV

The Secretary of State mobile voter registration unit will be on both Grand Valley State University campuses this week. Students can register on the Pew Campus in the DeVos South Courtyard from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 23 and on the Allendale Campus near the Cook Carillon Tower from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 24. 

Students can also register license, tabs and registration renewals.