GVSU Quick Hits

Kellen Voss, Sports Writer

GVSU women’s golf finishes second in opening round of Gilda Club Invitational

The Grand Valley State women’s golf team earned a second-place finish after the opening round at the 2019 Gilda’s Club Laker Fall Invite being held at the Meadows Golf Course on GVSU’s Allendale Campus.

Findlay University earned a first-place finish in that opening round, carding a 297 (+9). GVSU ended the round right on their heels with a score of 306 (+18).

Senior Katie Chipman shot an opening round 70 (-2) and entered day two in first place. Maria Sol Pose (79/+7), Abbey Pierce (80/+8) and Morgan Janke-Wolff (81/+9) represented GVSU well, with all three golfers finishing in the top 20.

GVSU lacrosse coach inducted into Okemos Hall of Fame

Grand Valley State women’s lacrosse coach Mackenzie Lawler was inducted into the Okemos High School Hall of Fame earlier this month.

Lawler spent four years with the program from 2007-2010 and led the team to back-to-back state titles in her final two seasons.

Lawler enters her second season at the helm of the women’s lacrosse program. Last year, she led the Lakers to an impressive 14-4 record and a GLIAC tournament championship game appearance.

GVSU club golf has record setting weekend.

The Grand Valley State club golf team began the year with a third-place finish this weekend at Eagle Crest Golf Club in Ypsilanti, MI, with a two-day team score of 745 (+25).

Club president Brendan Kahl tied for first with a two-day total of 139 (-5), followed by Dylan Conte (149), A.J. Clark (150), Logan Heckathorn (153) and Mason Dirlam (158).

The team broke their two-day total program by 35 shots. The club is now ranked No. 4 nationally and is in good position to qualify for nationals for the second time in club history

VARSITY SCHEDULE

Football

Saturday, October 5, 7 p.m., Home vs Ashland

Soccer

Sunday, October 6, 1 p.m., Home vs Davenport

Volleyball

Friday, October 4, 8 p.m., @ Purdue Northwest

Saturday, October 5, 3 p.m., @ Wisconsin Parkside