Letter to the Editor: Help GV grow with Campus Climate Survey

Jesse Bernal, Vice President for Inclusion and Equity

Dear Campus Community:

As part of our ongoing efforts to create a more welcoming and inclusive environment for everyone at Grand Valley, we are once again reaching out to you for your valued input with a climate survey.

The survey is an important tool toward creating a healthy campus climate by measuring perceptions of academic, interpersonal and professional interactions at GVSU. It helps support our goals of providing a rich and inclusive learning and working environment that attracts, retains, and supports a diverse community.

You matter, so speak your truth.

Information gleaned from the survey – based on the experiences and perceptions of individuals and groups on campus – will be used to make recommendations for changes to create a healthier campus climate that is grounded in respect for others, dialogue between those with different perspectives, and a pattern of civil interactions among all members of the GVSU community. Data provided will enhance the efforts of the Division of Inclusion and Equity in its creation of subcommittees and focus groups that will further explore ways for the university to implement change and create a more welcoming environment for all.

We are currently embarking on the sixth climate study at Grand Valley. The last one was conducted in 2015.

We are committed to creating a welcoming climate where every single member of the community can be their authentic selves in a positive and inclusive environment for learning, working and living — a climate that promotes enhanced well-being, empowerment and agency for all.

Your input will help us continue to refine our roadmap for exploring ways to eliminate negative and harmful aspects while further building on the positive and healthy experiences with are at the heart of Grand Valley.

This year’s climate survey is being conducted between November 14-24. While it only takes 10-15 minutes to complete the survey, the collective results and outcomes could impact and shape the GVSU community for years to come. Students, faculty and staff members will receive an email with the survey link.

Completing the survey is just the beginning of this important conversation process. The data we receive will help to promote or create change on our campus to make it an inclusive and welcoming environment for all.

As always, our goal for the climate survey is 100 percent participation, because everyone’s voice matters. The U.S. national average for climate responses at colleges and universities is just under 30 percent. In 2015, GVSU had a 42 percent response rate.

This survey will help us inform programs on campus of community needs, issues and concerns. We want to afford everyone an opportunity to voice their opinions so we can all work together and positively shape the future of GVSU.

Our ultimate objective is to create a better place for everyone to learn, live and work and a campus where we can activate the full talents our entire community. Please join us in that mission.

Sincerely yours,

Jesse M. Bernal, Ph.D.

Vice President for Inclusion and Equity