GVSU Quick Hits

Kellen Voss, Sports Editor

GVSU Soccer sets impressive GLIAC record

The Grand Valley State soccer team had two more shutouts this week, beating the Saginaw Valley State Cardinals, 10-0, Sunday, Nov. 4 before beating the Davenport Panthers, 7-0, Friday, Nov. 8. The wins not only clinch the Lakers a first place finish in the GLIAC, but for the first time in the 25-year history of the GLIAC, the soccer team did not allow any conference opponent to score a goal on them.

The GVSU soccer team has not given up a goal since Sunday, Sept. 15, and have outscored opponents by a combined margin of 76-3.

GVSU, Colorado School of Minds announce football series

GVSU football and the Colorado School of Minds announced Friday a two-game home-and-home series that has been signed and will have the two NCAA Division II football giants meeting on the gridiron in 2022 and 2023.

The first game will be played at GVSU’s Lubbers Stadium Thursday, September 1, 2022, followed by the return match-up Saturday, September 2, 2023 at Marv Kay Stadium in Golden, Colorado.

GVSU and Colorado School of Mines have met just once on the football field, with the Lakers claiming a 35-13 victory over the Orediggers in a 2010 NCAA Playoff First Round meeting in Allendale.

GVSU men’s golf named top freshmen class

The Grand Valley State men’s golf team has been ranked top freshman class in Division II for their efforts this season, according to Golfstat. The Lakers have three freshman golfers in their top-five with an average score of 72.97.

Charles DeLong, Nick Krueger, and Drew Coble have collectively earned two wins, five top-five finishes and seven top-10 finishes in five tournaments this fall.

As a team, the Lakers won the Ferris State Invitational and finished second at the Davenport Invitational to finish the fall. GVSU will begin the spring season on March 14 when they travel to Lexington, Kentucky to participate in the SVSU Spring Invitational.

VARSITY SCHEDULE

Football: Saturday, Nov. 16, 1 p.m., Home vs Wayne State (senior day)

Soccer: Friday, Nov. 15, TBD, GLIAC Semi-Final

Sunday, Nov. 17, TBD, GLIAC Final

Volleyball: Friday, Nov. 15, 7 p.m., @ Ashland

Saturday, Nov. 16, 2 p.m., @ Wayne State

Men’s Basketball: Thursday, Nov. 14, 6 p.m., Home vs Truman State

Sunday, Nov. 17, 1 p.m., @ Indianapolis

Women’s Basketball: Sunday, Nov. 17, 1 p.m., Home vs Lewis