GV volleyball finishes postseason, reviews year’s milestones

Rosemary Booher, Staff Writer

The Grand Valley State Lakers played in their final match of the season Wednesday, Nov. 20 against the Michigan Tech Huskies. After making it into the GLIAC tournament, the Lakers fell in the first round 1-3 to the Huskies. The Lakers lost the first two sets, 16-25 and 17-25, but were able to make a comeback in the third and took the set 25-20. However, GVSU would not gain another win in the final set, leaving the Huskies to finish up the match 20-25. 

Although the Lakers were eliminated in the first round of the GLIAC Tournament, they were still successful in their season this year. The young GVSU team had an overall record of 13-15 and a GLIAC record of 8-8. Multiple players were also honored with awards this season including Jaeli Primus, Ali Thompson, and senior Kendall Yerkes.

Even though the Grand Valley State volleyball team saw their season come to a close earlier this week, they have a couple of individual accolades to celebrate, the biggest of which being Jaeli Primus being named GLIAC Freshman of the Year.

Primus is the first Laker to win the award since 2015. The Hudsonville, Michigan, native led the GLIAC the entire season in total blocks (117) and blocks per set (1.14), while amassing 255 kills (2.48 kills per set) and a .310 attack percentage. The freshman was named GLIAC South Player of the Week on Nov. 4 after her career-high 16 kill performance with a .640 attack percentage in a 3-1 win over Davenport.

Primus and sophomore All Thompson were both named to the All-GLIAC second team, with Thompson posting 34 service aces on the year, which ranked third in the GLIAC. Senior Kendall Yerkes was also named an All-GLIAC honorable mention after being top five in the conference in service aces per set (2nd) and digs per set (4th).

During the season, sophomore Ali Thompson was awarded the GLIAC South Player of the Week on Oct. 14 after a career-high 22-kill performance with a .404 attack percentage against the 14th-ranked Ferris State Bulldogs.

The players were not the only ones who hit important milestones this season. Head coach Deanne Scanlon reached her 600th win this season after having coached for 25 years. 

The season was full of growth and determination. This year, the Lakers had only two seniors and no juniors, leaving the rest of the team to be comprised of underclassmen. GVSU was able to pull together and make it through both tough losses as well as great successes as one of the underdog teams in the conference.