GVSU Quick Hits

Kellen Voss, Sports Editor

GVSU Men’s Basketball signs Ethan Alderink for 2020 class

The Grand Valley State men’s basketball team and head coach Ric Wesley announced the signing of incoming freshman Ethan Alderink for the 2020 class. Alderink, a senior at Holland Christian High School, will join the Lakers for the 2020-21 season.

A 6’6″ wing player with freakish athleticism, Alderink was named the Holland Sentinel Player of the Year as a junior, averaging 14.3 points, four rebounds, two assists and two blocks per game last season. He is averaging 15 points per game early on in his senior campaign. Other universities had shown interest in him during the recruiting process, but Alderink told the Holland Sentinel Tuesday (Jan. 7) night that the Lakers won him over.

“They were really the first ones to show interest in me my sophomore year,” he said to Lenny Padilla of the Holland Sentinel. “Every time I’ve been on campus, I’ve loved it. I like the guys and their coaching staff. It feels like family. That’s what’s most important to me.”

Alderink preps under head coach David Kool at Holland Christian. His AAU career has seen him play locally with West Michigan Lakers and, most recently, on the Under Armour circuit with Grand Rapids Storm and Jason Martin.

Senior Cassidy Boensch earns Third GLIAC South Division Player of the Week of season

Grand Valley State University senior center Cassidy Boensch has been named GLIAC South Division Player of the Week for the third time this season after last week’s performances. The Lakers defeated Ferris State 72-68 on Thursday night, followed by a 57-39 win over Lake Superior State on Saturday to improve to 13-0 overall and 5-0 in GLIAC play.

Boensch scored 16 points, grabbed eight rebounds and blocked six shots Thursday at Ferris State before dropping 29 points and securing 13 rebounds in Saturday’s game against Lake Superior State. The Au. Gres, Michigan native currently leads the GLIAC in points per game (20.8), rebounds per game (9.8), field goal percentage (63.7%) and block shots per game (3.8), while also ranking in the top five nationally in block shots per game.

VARSITY SCHEDULE

Men’s Basketball: Thursday, Jan. 16, 8 p.m., vs Northwood (Polar Vortex Night)

Saturday, Jan. 18, 3 p.m., @ Saginaw Valley State

Women’s Basketball: Thursday, Jan. 16, 6 p.m., vs Northwood (Polar Vortex Night)

Saturday, Jan. 18, 1 p.m., @ Saginaw Valley State

Men’s and Women’s Indoor Track & Field

Friday, Jan. 17, 2:45 p.m., GVSU Bill Clinger Classic @ Kelly Family Sports Center

Men’s and Women’s Swimming & Diving

Saturday, Jan. 18, 1 p.m., vs Findlay