News Briefs 2/3

College journalism grant award for Grand Valley Lanthorn readers

A $1000 grant is being offered to a current student to cover the costs of an on-campus journalism project. Applicants do not need to be journalism majors, but do need to have a strong passion for journalism, said Dror Liebenthal, leader of bold.org, a student scholarship platform.

Liebenthal continued to say that college newspapers are a staple of the journalism community and emphasized the importance of the scholarship.

“College newspapers are thriving, with a stronger impact than ever on student bodies; they educate students and spark conversation among them,” Liebenthal said. “Students are a particularly critical segment of our population because they have their entire lives as engaged citizens ahead of them.”

The requirements for the grant are the following: Applicants must be current students enrolled in any accredited undergraduate or graduate degree program at a 4-year, 2-year, vocational, or technical institution in the US. Applicants do not need to be journalism majors, but do need to have a strong passion for journalism.

Coronavirus spreads throughout the globe

Word of the newest virus has spread across the world very quickly. The Wuhan coronavirus has claimed the lives of at least 305 people total, and has been confirmed in more than 25 countries and territories. In response to the virus, the United States placed travel restrictions on Sunday evening.

According to many experts, although the coronavirus is new, it is not as deadly as it seems. They say that due to its novelty, we have yet to develop a way for our immune systems to fight against it. However, shockingly, experts say that the influenza virus, or the flu, is actually more deadly, especially this time of the year.

Trump impeachment trial continues

Although President Donald Trump has already been impeached, he still remains in office pending a trial in the Senate. The trial is to determine whether or not Trump will be removed from office.

If he his acquitted of his accusations, he will be able to stay in office and run for re-election in 2020. If he gets removed from office, Trump can still run in the 2020 election if the Senate grants him that right.

The senate will vote on the two articles of impeachment on Wednesday, Feb. 5. If Trump wins the vote, he will be the first president to get impeached but stay in office.