News Briefs 2/10

Sean Cauvet, News Editor

President Trump acquitted in impeachment trial

On Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2020, President Donald J. Trump was acquitted on both articles of impeachment in the senate trial. The two articles were: Abuse of Power and Obstruction of Justice. Senator Mitt Romney (R-UT) was the only Republican senator to vote to convict Trump for Article I, Abuse of Power.

“The president did in fact pressure a foreign government to corrupt our election process,” Romney said. “And really, corrupting an election process in a democratic republic is about as abusive and egregious an act against the Constitution—and one’s oath—that I can imagine. It’s what autocrats do.”

The 2020 election process will continue, with the democratic primary starting in early March to determine who will run against Trump. The favorites following the Iowa Caucus are Former South Bend, Indiana Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Senator Bernie Sanders (D-VT).

GVSU holds quarterly Board of Trustees meeting

Grand Valley State University President Philomena Mantella, along with six other GVSU students, discussed a plethora of issues facing the university during this quarter’s Board of Trustees meeting.

The first thing they discussed were the questionable remarks made by former GVSU football offensive coordinator Morris Berger. Mantella said this event is an opportunity for education and the reaffirmation of GVSU’s values of inclusion and equity. In response to this incident, Mantella said that an educational series is being planned that will cover various subjects, including the Holocaust and the impact of colonization on the Native American community.

“We will use this moment to work diligently toward institutional systemic change that creates a healthier campus climate for all,” Mantella said.

According to the Associate Vice President of University Communications Mary Eilleen Lyon, this is a list of board action from the meeting:

• The board approved a new bachelor’s degree in applied food and nutrition. The major will prepare students for managing food service operations and applying principles of medical nutrition therapy for clients and patients with basic, low acuity nutritional health care needs. The program is scheduled to begin in fall 2020.
  • The board approved the sale of a 12-acre parcel from 18 acres of undeveloped land owned by the university at 3059 Lake Michigan Drive in Grand Rapids. A purchase agreement has been entered with a developer for a selling price of $1.5 million. The university will retain approximately six acres of the property.
  • Students will see a modest increase in room and board rates beginning with the fall 2020 semester; the board voted to increase the rate by 1.6 percent. The average cost for living on campus per semester will increase by $18. This year’s increase in room and board rates at Grand Valley is less than the five-year state average increase of 2.9 percent at public universities in Michigan.
  • The board voted to approve the reauthorization of three public charter academies and schools, including: Byron Center Charter School (five years, Byron Center); Detroit Achievement Academy (five years, Detroit); Taylor Preparatory High School (seven years, Taylor); and the authorization of Fostering Leadership Academy (seven years, Redford). The board also voted to approve the appointment or reappointment of charter school board members to GVSU-authorized public school academy boards.