News Briefs 10/5/20

Olivia Fellows, News Editor

GV COVID-19 campus data update

Since GVSU began conducting random testing on campus Aug. 27, the cumulative total COVID-19 cases since Aug. 1 is 963. The university’s update of data used for this brief was from Friday, Oct. 2.

Through testing results, GVSU’s Virus Action team have so far reported 1 faculty member, 3 staff members, 16 on-campus students, 54 “off-campus Ottawa” students and 21 “off-campus Kent” students, 5 “off-campus other” students with active COVID-19 cases. The current number of active cases is 100.

“Current active cases” is the count of positive cases reported to the Virus Action Team over the past ten days.  This is an estimate of those currently in isolation, assuming a ten-day symptomatic period following the reporting of a positive test result. Actual periods of isolation are specific to the individual and determined by the county health department.

Testing and Incidence: GVSU’s own testing program has performed 11,860 tests overall since August 21, for a positivity rate of 0.36% from the latest update as of the last week.

“GV Surveillance” includes the GV/Spectrum administered programs of: randomized testing, regular testing of high-risk groups, and invited testing of individuals connected to potential clusters. A calendar is available. “GV Total” includes surveillance testing plus all symptomatic/exposure tests administered by Spectrum.

GV named one of ‘America’s 100 Best College Buys’ for 25 consecutive years

For the 25th year in a row, Grand Valley State University has been named one of America’s 100 Best College Buys by Institutional Research and Evaluation, Inc. (IR&E) in Georgia.

GVSU is the only Michigan public school that has made the list every year since the designation began in 1995.

IR&E is an independent research and consulting organization specializing in the recruitment and retention of students for institutions of higher education. Each year, IR&E identifies the 100 colleges and universities across the country that provide students the highest quality education at the lowest cost.

To be considered for the designation, an institution must be an accredited, four-year institution offering bachelor’s degrees and must offer full residential facilities, including residence halls and dining services.

The average GPA for first-year students at Grand Valley for fall 2019 was 3.68, compared to the national average of 3.41, according to IR&E. The average SAT score for first-year students entering college for fall 2019 was 1145, compared to the national average of 1119. The average ACT score for first-year students at Grand Valley for fall 2019 was 24, compared to the national average of 23.

Laker Store donates more than $2,550 from mask sales to Student Support Fund

The GVSU Laker Store is donating $2,551.72 in proceeds from mask sales to the Student Support Fund date. The fund, administered by Financial Aid, provides funding to GVSU students who face extreme financial circumstances from situations like accidents, illness, loss of employment, loss of other income or support, or death of a family member.

Tony Glaab, manager of the Allendale Laker Store, said his team decided early on they wanted to contribute to a fund that would quickly go to students in need.

“We started selling masks online in the summer and we actually sold out while we were still in pre-order,” Glaab said. “Initially, we just ordered plain white masks and then we started to hear from customers that they wanted Grand Valley printed masks.”

Popular selections include black masks with a GVSU logo, gray masks with the Athletics GV in blue on it and tie-dye masks.

The Laker Stores will continue to sell masks as long as there is a need, Glaab said, and proceeds will continue to go to the Student Support Fund.

Grand Rapids Public Library Receives $161,470 in Grants

The Grand Rapids Public Library has received $161,470 in grants from the Grand Rapids Public Library Foundation. The funds will be used to support library programming and collections.

The Grand Rapids Public Library Foundation awarded $161,470 in grants to fund several programs and initiativesincluding the annual One Book, One City for Kids program, the annual GR Reads adult reading program, prototyping new material delivery systems, Music in the Stacks; a monthly local music concert series, the annual Dyer-Ives Poetry Competition, the Grand Rapids Poet Laureate program, and rare book preservation, among others.

The Grand Rapids Public Library Foundation was formed in 1990 and serves as the fundraising and advocacy arm of the Grand Rapids Public Library. Its mission is to raise funds for library programs and services, and to build an endowment to fund, initiate and lead programs that benefit the West Michigan community that cannot be funded through the library’s general operating budget.