Where to pick your perfect pumpkin this fall

GVL / Sheila Babbitt

Audrey Whitaker, Staff Reporter

It’s officially fall, with cider, donuts and pumpkin spice everything rampant. All that’s missing is a pumpkin to carve or decorate with roommates.

In 2017, Michigan was number five on the list of U.S. states that grew the most pumpkins, according to Zippia. The state has over 900 pumpkin farms, adding up to 5,123 acres in total.  

Despite the changes brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, outdoor market and pumpkin patch fun is still a Laker favorite.

Some carve pumpkins, while others paint. If you’re planning on using your pumpkins as outdoor decor, you can deter squirrels and other animals from turning them into a snack by spraying them with one part vinegar to ten parts water.

If you’ll be scooping the pulp out of the jack o lantern this Halloween, save all that gooey goodness and seeds. Season pumpkin seed with oil, salt and paprika or your other favorite spices and bake for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees for a crispy, healthy, seasonal snack.

The pumpkin pulp can be used for many easy recipes, including DIY pumpkin spice lattes and soup. It can even be used to make face masks when combined with other at-home ingredients like sugar, honey and even eggs.

Whether you’re looking to pick up a pumpkin on your next trip to the supermarket or make a day of it, there are a number of options for Lakers looking for fall fun near GVSU’s Allendale campus. 

Mellema Farm

16496 124th Avenue, Nunica

Mellema Farm Market Farm offers locally grown fruits and vegetables in season, according to their website. During the month of October, the pick-your-own pumpkin patch is up and running.

Dahlia Acres Farms

4763 Baldwin St., Hudsonville, MI 

Dahlia Acres Farms sells cut flowers and pumpkins from their wagonstand in Hudsonville throughout the fall season, according to their website. They have many different varieties in a $1-$3 range. 

Wells Orchards

9009 Kenowa Ave. SW, Grand Rapids, MI

Wells Orchards pumpkin patch (which also includes acorn maze, market and apple orchard) opened the first weekend of October, according to their website. 

Bremer Produce

6398 48th Ave., Hudsonville, MI

Bremer Produce has all your fall favorites – from pumpkins to fun gourds to squash for your favorite fall soup. You can also check out the pick-your-own sunflower patch and super cute barn kittens as well. Prices are low and they accept cash and Venmo. 

Post Family Fam

5081 Bauer Rd, Hudsonville, MI

Post Family Farm offers a variety of fun fall activities including pumpkin picking, hay rides, apple picking and their produce market. Learn more about their locations with their interactive map online.