Laker Life Briefs

Presidential discussion focuses on Coolidge

In the wake of the most tumultuous United States election in living memory, many are thinking more than usual about the presidency and its importance to the country. Those who’d maybe like to think about something other than our current president and president elect may enjoy attending a talk on Tuesday, Nov. 10 on America’s 30th president, Calvin “Silent Cal” Coolidge.

After the unexpected death of the scandalous President Warren Harding in 1923, Vice President Coolidge was quickly flung to center stage. He handled the position with a notably dry sense of humor, once observing that “the American people want a solemn ass as a president, and I think I will go along with them.”

Those interested in learning more about Coolidge can RSVP for the event on Laker Link at www.gvsu.campuslabs.com. The virtual presentation is scheduled to last from 9-10 p.m. over Zoom, and is hosted by the Grand Valley State University chapter of Students for Liberty.

Annual Teach-In goes digital amid pandemic

Every year, Grand Valley State University hosts a series of dialogues on various social justice issues in order to inspire critical and analytical conversation on campus. This year is no different, and on Wednesday, Nov. 11, the Equity and Inclusion Committee will be presenting a series of online sessions running concurrently throughout the day.

This year’s Teach-In will feature topics like cultural competence in health care, clean water access in Michigan and across the country, media representation of race, and ableism in the student experience. A full schedule of the programs that will last from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. can be found at www.gvsu.edu/teach-in.

Students check out majors with GV’s Advising Center

Is your major still undeclared? Are you still thinking about your options when it comes to minors? Simply wondering about career paths for a major you’ve already chosen? If so, you may be interested in attending the upcoming Virtual Majors Fair hosted by the CLAS Academic Advising Center.

Faculty from different departments across the university will be available to share info with curious students, representing every major Grand Valley State University has to offer.

The online event will take place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 12. Those who’d like to attend can register for the fair at gvsu.edu/exploratory/majors-fair.