A&E Briefs 2/1

Mary Dupuis

The Grand Rapids Civic Theatre announces their Spring return 

The Grand Rapids Civic Theatre announced on Jan. 26 that they will be returning this spring with a theatre festival and playwrighting competition crafted to highlight West Michigan playwrights. 

Titled the “Ten for All Festival,” Civic Theatre is set to be taking original 10-minute play submissions from playwrights across West Michigan to be featured in the competition from now until Feb. 26. Submissions must fall into one of four categories: comedy, drama, youth, and wildcard. 

From these submissions, 12 semi-finalists (three from each category) will have their plays featured in Zoom readings and scored by celebrity judges from around the West Michigan community from March 18-21. 

The top-scoring play in each category will then move on to the finals and be publicly performed on stage at Grand Rapids Civic Theatre as one hour-long program at the Meijer Majestic Theatre from April 9-11. 

Audience members will have the opportunity to vote for their favorite piece, and one play will receive the honor of Audience Choice. Cash prizes are also being offered for the Audience Choice winner, finalists and semifinalists.

GV encourages students to “Treat People With Kindness”

The Campus Activities Board (CAB) is tugging on the heartstrings of Harry Styles fans throughout the student body asking them to take after his song and, “Treat People With Kindness.” 

CAB said the week will be filled with “sweet words and sweet treats” to encourage the student body to spread kindness to one another. 

The first event of the week will be held on Zoom on Feb. 1 and test students on their Harry Styles trivia. Students are asked to RSVP on Lakerlink before attending and stay tuned to their Instagram (@gvsucab) for more event information throughout the week. 

Ice Skating in Grand Rapids will continue through February

The Rosa Parks Circle has been a hub of socially-distanced frozen fun in Grand Rapids and will continue to be so throughout the month of February. 

Until Feb. 21 everyone is welcome to come and skate daily for $2 per person (admission price includes skate rental). All visitors are required to wear a face mask and maintain social distancing. 

In order to avoid overcrowding and long wait times, all skate times need to be reserved in advance online anytime or over the phone during normal business hours (Mon. through Fri. from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.). You can now book your skate two weeks in advance. 

There is a maximum of 25 skaters allowed on the ice at a time. All check-in and skate rental activities will still be taking place outside under tents and skating equipment will be sanitized after each use.