A&E Briefs 4/5

Mary Dupuis

GV Piano Studio to hold their first live-streamed concert of the year

For the first time all year, Grand Valley State University students in Dr. Sookkyung Cho’s piano studio class will perform a live-streamed virtual recital. 

Free to attend, the concert can be found on GVSU’s website on Wednesday, April 7 at 7:30 p.m.

Over the course of an hour and a half, nine GVSU students from the class will perform a variety of songs, some of which are: Ravel’s Sonatine, mvt. I, Chopin’s Ballade No. 3, and Beethoven’s Appassionata Sonata, mvt. I. 

Cho said per usual for these concerts, the music selection will be diverse. 

Read more at www.lanthorn.com 

GV Art Gallery present “Vera Vision” multimedia event to celebrate exhibition

Grand Valley State University’s Art Gallery celebrated their exhibition, “Vera Klement,” with a multimedia experience of artmaking, poetry and music inspired by the life and work of artist Vera Klement. 

“Vera Vision” was held on April 2 from 12-3 p.m. at the Haas Center for Performing Arts and via Zoom. The event included painting demos, a paint set giveaway, a poetry reading and a performance by the GVSU Chamber Ensemble. 

Klement fled Europe just before World War II, and this experience as well as her Jewish identity are known to be subtle influences in her artwork. 

For those interested in learning more about the exhibition’s theme of memory, the gallery recommended reading Marianne Hirsch’s “The Generation of Post War Memory” which can be found at the GVSU Library. The book argues that the memories of traumatic events are able to mark the lives of everyone, even those who did not experience them. 

GV set to host final Writer’s Series event of semester

The fifth and final installment of the Grand Valley State University Writer’s Series will feature readings from visiting author Scott Blackwood. 

The author of two novels, a story collection and two narrative nonfiction books, Blackwood will be reading on Monday, April 5 from 7:30-8:30 p.m. on Zoom. 

Blackwood’s most recent novel, “SEE HOW SMALL,” won the 2016 PEN USA Award for Fiction, was named a best book of 2015 by NPR, an “Editor’s Choice” pick by The New York Times, and a Texas Book of the Decade by The Texas Observer

Those who wish to attend are asked to contact the GVSU Writing Department for the Zoom link at [email protected].

GV Chamber Music Ensembles hold recitals for brass, strings, piano

Grand Valley State University students held a virtual Brass Chamber Music Recital on Wednesday, March 31 at 7:30 p.m. 

To continue showcasing the hard work of GVSU Chamber Music Ensembles as the university approaches the final stretch of the semester, there will also be a Strings and Piano Chamber Music Recital held on Tuesday, April 6 at 7:30 p.m. online.