Four shot at off-campus apartments near Allendale campus

Courtesy / mix957gr.com

Adam Trombley

The Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office and the Grand Valley Police Department responded to a call about a shooting at the Enclave apartments located near 48th Avenue and Lake Michigan Drive early on Saturday morning. 

GVPD were the first to respond to the scene where they were able to secure the location and offer initial first aid to the victims. Very shortly after, the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office arrived and began looking at the victims, taking pictures, checking for additional evidence and using a search warrant to look through the apartment where the incident had occurred. 

Of the four victims who were shot, three of them remained and were treated at the scene before being transported via an ambulance to the hospital. The Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office was made aware of a fourth victim who was taken to the same hospital in a private vehicle. Currently, all four victims are still alive, with one in critical condition. 

The four victims are not students at Grand Valley State University. 

The subject who shot the four individuals is still unknown. However, according to an email sent to students early Saturday morning, the subject was described as a Hispanic man, who was around six feet tall and weighed 200-225 pounds. He was also described to be wearing a white shirt, dark blue jeans and a baseball hat. 

The motive for the incident is still unclear, but the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office is working thoroughly to find any information that will help them find the subject. Currently, they are monitoring social media for information and they have received a few silent observer tips throughout the day. There is a detective at the hospital attempting to gather more information from the victims. 

This is an Ottawa County Sheriff’s investigation. The role of the GVPD will be to assist Ottawa County if needed.

Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Mark Bennett urges cooperation as some people who were around the scene have been hesitant to give information. 

“We understand people can be apprehensive, but we encourage cooperation,” Bennett said. “We can take great efforts in keeping information anonymous. But sometimes that little piece of information is the last piece of the puzzle we need to put together and link the case.” 

If anyone has any information regarding the incident, they are urged to contact the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office at 616-738-4000 or Silent Observer at 877-887-4536.