A&E Briefs 4/12

Mary Dupuis

GV Campus Activities Board set to hold painting event

Grand Valley State University Campus Activities Board (CAB) will be holding a Bob Ross Painting Party. 

On Thursday, April 15 from 7-9 p.m. at the Grand River Room in Kirkhof, students are invited to join and have a relaxing evening of painting with Ross. 

All supplies are included, and by no means is painting experience required. Students who wish to attend are asked to RSVP on LakerLink. 

GV Art Gallery introduces new photography to their collection

More than 30 photographs by sports photographer Walter Iooss have been added to the Grand Valley Art Collection. 

Iooss, an American photographer, is best known for his award-winning images of legendary athletes such as Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Scottie Pippen and Muhammad Ali. His career began at Sports Illustrated, to which he contributed for over 50 years. 

The collection can be viewed in the “Online Collection” section of the Grand Valley Art Gallery’s website. 

Paint By Number Project comes to Grand Rapids

Partnering with Downtown Grand Rapids Inc., The City of Grand Rapids, The Big Old Building restaurant and Alfred Reeves Photography, ArtXchange Grand Rapids has announced a new Paint By Number (PBN) project taking place in Grand Rapids. 

ArtXchange Grand Rapids, a company that has been providing resources and support to artists of color in Grand Rapids since 2017, said from April 30 to June 30, PBN will be a public engagement art installation that will invite all community members to create works of art as a collective unit. 

At the root of the project will be paint by number images of communities in the Greater Grand Rapids area in order to engage all neighbourhoods included in the Greater Grand Rapids Zone. 

John Ball Zoo holds Superhero Day

Visitors were invited to attend the John Ball Zoo dressed in their favorite superhero costumes for a special Superhero Day event. 

Held on April 8 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., guests could come to the zoo to meet a rotating group of superheroes including Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Thor, Captain America, Spider-Man, Star Lord, Black Widow and more. 

Guests were also able to discover themed animal enrichment and signs at the animal exhibits that showcased animal superpowers. In addition, guests could enjoy superhero-themed treats like Spidey Slush, Hulk Floss and a Captain America Freezy.