Laker Life Briefs

Human Trafficking in Hospitality Seminar

Human trafficking is a serious global issue intersecting with many different industries, including hospitality and tourism. In order to create awareness, Grand Valley’s Hospitality and Tourism Management Club has organized a lecture from FBI-recognized Wisconsin police detective Neal Lofy on how to recognize signs of human trafficking, and what you can do when you recognize them.

The event is focused on Hospitality and Tourism Management students and professionals, but all who want to learn more about this topic are welcome to attend on Tuesday, Apr. 13. The seminar begins at 4 p.m., both virtually over Zoom and in-person at Loosemore Auditorium in the DeVos Center on Grand Valley’s Pew Campus. More information is available online on the HTMC’s LakerLink page at gvsu.campuslabs.com/engage/organization/htmc.

Casual Painting with CAB

Grand Valley’s Campus Activities Board is encouraging students to embrace their artistic side this week with a “Bob Ross Painting Party,” inspired by the legendary PBS television host and art instructor. No prior painting experience is required for this free event, and all art supplies will be provided for those attending.

The party begins at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Apr. 15, and will take place in Kirkhof Center’s Grand River Room. Those interested in attending can RSVP to secure their spot through CAB’s page on LakerLink, gvsu.campuslabs.com/engage/organization/laker-traditions-team-student-life.

Walk in solidarity for Sexual Assault Awareness Month

In 2000, the Center for Disease Control worked with survivors and activists in order to establish the National Sexual Violence Resource Center. In 2001, the organization coordinated the very first formally recognized national Sexual Assault Awareness Month campaign. This year is the 20th anniversary of that first campaign, which the Grand Valley Police Department is commemorating with a solidarity walk around campus.

The walk will begin at 1 p.m. under the Cook Carillion Tower, but those interested can join at any time between 1-3 p.m. so that participants can remain spaced apart. Free t-shirts will be available while supplies last. More information is available on LakerLink at gvsu.campuslabs.com/engage/organization/oncampus.