Young players finding success with limited experience

Brady Fredericksen

The moment where a player abruptly goes from holding a clipboard on the sidelines to avoiding an oncoming linebacker at the 50-yard line can be on the unpredictable side of things.

But as sophomore quarterback Isiah Grimes puts it, “It can be anybody’s time at any given play.”

Grimes is just one of a number of players on the No. 3 Grand Valley State University football team who have seen their roles transition from backups to starters in just a matter of weeks.

“We all kind of are really confident in our abilities and everything, being thrown in there,” said Grimes, who was named GLIAC Offense Player of the Week after throwing four touchdowns against Michigan Technological University. “We’re all really good athletes, we’ve all done it before, and we’re all just confident in what we can do — we just go out there and make plays.”

It’s not just Grimes who’s been thrust into significant playing time. Redshirt freshman tailback Kirk Spencer, used mostly as a third string, change-of-pace back early in the season, was the primary tailback Saturday.

Fellow tailback Ben Hutchins, who head coach Matt Mitchell said wouldn’t even have been on the bus to Michigan Tech three weeks ago, has also seen an increased role. The sophomore carried the ball 11 times as the short-yardage back after seeing just nine touches prior to the game.

“Three weeks ago, Kirk Spencer is our third tailback, and is a situational tailback where we don’t put a lot on his plate,” Mitchell said of Spencer, who ran for 136 yards and a touchdown Saturday. “We put a lot on Kirk Spencer’s plate (Saturday), I mean we put a lot, mentally, on his plate. Neither one of those guys shied from that moment.”

Succumbing to the moment hasn’t been a common occurrence for these players, one of the main reason’s GVSU has been able to stay undefeated without starters at quarterback, tailback and on the defensive line.

Mitchell talks about how these players just don’t know any better, almost like they’re naïve to the pressures of the moment. He calls it a GVSU tradition — the next man in — the idea that players are able to step in and do what they’re coached to and not worry about it.

“Executing is real important, and if we know that we have to make a play, everybody’s willing to do anything they can to go out there and make a play for the team,” said Grimes.

Even the veteran players, like senior wide receiver Charles Johnson and guard Tim Lelito, have noticed the production and maturity shown by the underclassmen in the last two weeks.

“They come to practice every day just like we do, just because their age is a little bit younger than where we are doesn’t matter,” Johnson said. “They’re getting the same reps we’re getting … when they step in and make plays, it’s going to be good for the future of our program.”

Whether it be Grimes, Spencer, Hutchins or freshman tight end Jamie Potts helping to lead the Lakers to 51 points against the GLIAC’s top defense last week or sophomore receiver Darryl Pitts’ game-winning touchdown against Ohio Dominican University the week before, there appears to be no fear of failure.

“(Michigan Tech) was a pretty hostile environment. I was proud of the way some of those younger guys just kind of stepped in and played,” Mitchell said. “It speaks to the resiliency of our team, and a little bit of the culture that’s around this place and has been around this place and the tradition of Grand Valley football.”