Traditions team plans Founders Day festivities

GVL Archive
Artist J. Brett Grill (left) shakes hands with David Frey (right) during the inaugural Founders Day event and unveiling of the L. William Seidman statue. Grill was commisioned to create the statue of Seidman.

GVL Archive Artist J. Brett Grill (left) shakes hands with David Frey (right) during the inaugural Founders Day event and unveiling of the L. William Seidman statue. Grill was commisioned to create the statue of Seidman.

In 1960, 282 people came together to establish Grand Valley State College. Today, the Laker Traditions team is planning the third annual Founders Day in their honor. Students, faculty and community members can participate in the celebration at Grand Valley State University on Oct. 22.

LeaAnn Tibbe, associate director of student life, chairs the Laker Traditions team. Tibbe said this is the third year for both the student-led group and Founders Day at GVSU.

“We created the traditions team as a way to better coordinate all of the large-scale events we do on campus,” she said.

As one of these events, Founders Day is about more than just traditions, Tibbe said.

“We want to celebrate the spirit of giving on campus,” she said. “Those people gave so much to start the university, and people continue to give to keep us where we’re at.”

The event is also focused on creating community.

“It’s also a day to display our pride,” Tibbe said. “We have a lot to be proud of.”

The Laker Traditions team encourages students to wear their GVSU clothing on Founders Day to show their pride and support for their school.

Danielle O’Connor, a GVSU junior, is the Founders Day coordinator this year. O’Connor said one of the elements of the event is the 282 flags that will be placed around the Allendale and Pew campuses to represent the founders.

O’Connor said the event is a way to recognize the founders for what they have done.

“It’s important because without these 282 individuals coming together, we wouldn’t be here,” she said. “It’s like Grand Valley’s birthday. It’s a way to celebrate . We want to let students know about the founders and figure out how to incorporate the founders and realize how important they are.”

One of the activities O’Connor highlighted was the introduction of a time capsule.

“It will be open on 2060, for the 100th anniversary of Grand Valley,” O’Connor said. “It’s a way for students to get involved, to put something in the time capsule, to be remembered.”

Brandi Barno, also a junior, is working with O’Connor to plan Founders Day.

“I’m really looking forward to what we’re bringing to Founders Day this year,” she said. “In years past, Founder’s Day was known as the day we handed out cupcakes in various locations, but this year we’re striving to do so much more.”

She noted that the event happens at a good time because it coincides with homecoming week this year.

“While all the teams are competing and having fun and attending the homecoming show, Founders Day is a reminder that somebody made it possible for us to do this. We should thank them,’” Barno said. “It’s a celebration of the past, as we look toward the rest of the year.”

Sean O’Melia, Laker Traditions programming chair, also emphasized the importance of the occasion.

“We felt like it would be a good tradition for Grand Valley to remember its roots and how we started, let students know how it was founded and the sense of giving that goes on at this university,” he said. “It’s important to recognize where we’ve been to know where we’re going. To recognize the founders and appreciate them for all the work they’ve done, even for one day, to show respect.”

The event will begin with the Laker Traditions team passing out free cupcakes at 11 a.m. President Thomas Haas will help hand out the treats at Kleiner Commons. Tibbe said Meijer has donated the cupcakes every year as a way to give back to the community.

Haas will also be present for the reopening of four freshman living centers at noon.

For more information, visit www.gvsu.edu/foundersday.