Arts Briefs

Kate Branum

Martin Luther King Jr. Day: Race and the American Dream

In commemoration of the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the Grand Valley State University Division of Inclusion and Equity has partnered with the Hauenstein Center to host a lecture by award winning staff writer at the New York Times Magazine, Nikole Hannah-Jones and editorial board member at the Wall Street Journal, Jason Riley.
The event will take place Tuesday, Jan. 17 at 7 p.m. in the Eberhard Center, Room 215 on the Pew Campus.
Jones and Riley will speak about solutions to the problem of racial inequality and the importance of finding a common ground that we all share. Their talk will highlight the progress that has been since the civil rights movements of the 50s and 60s and the problems that still exist in today’s society.

HerStory

The Women’s Commission at Grand Valley State University presents: HerStory, a dialogue by Suzeanne Benet Wednesday, Jan 18. in the Kirkhof Center, Room 2204. at noon.
The HerStory series provides an opportunity to hear stories of women in leadership positions. The stories are intended to offer first-hand experiences and how these women climbed the ladder of success.

Survivor Behavior: Navigating a Culture of Blame

The Grand Valley State university academic senate and the student senate have sponsored a Teach-In session Thursday, Jan. 19 from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. in the Kirkhof Center, Room 2215 on the Allendale Campus.
This interactive conversations session will explore the ways in which rape culture impacts survivors of sexual violence. The conversation will also take a look at how the our “culture of blame” affects survivors’ behaviors.

Snowshoe Demo Day

Outdoor Adventures (OA) will be providing snowshoes to rent for all Grand Valley State University students, faculty and staff Saturday, Jan. 21 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Kirkhof Center on the Allendale Campus.
All participants can rent the snowshoes for up to one hour free of charge with a valid GVSU student or faculty ID. The snowshoes can be tested on any of the nearby trails. OA will have a stack of helpful maps and directors for a few of best places both on and off campus.