International Buddy System makes students feel at home

Mary Mattingly

Imagine traveling to a new place, but knowing no one. With the introduction of the International Buddy Program through the Padnos International Center, now international students studying at Grand Valley State University can meet peers more easily and feel at home.
“We’ve been working on a program like this and talking about it for years,” said Alissa Lane, outreach coordinator of the PIC. “There’s been a huge demand for it from both international and study abroad alumni.”
The program, which pairs study abroad alumni with international students, was implemented this year thanks to the efforts of the Study Abroad Alumni Association’s president, Chanon Cummings. Before being paired up, mentors underwent a session of training to learn the basics of cross-cultural sensitivity, to identify symptoms of culture shock and how to get international students in touch with counseling services if such symptoms arose. So far, the program has found success both with mentors and mentees, culminating in a mutually beneficial relationship.
“Study abroad alumni have just come back from this amazing experience,” Lane said. “This program helps them to stay connected to the international community.”
The program is done largely on students’ own time.
“You don’t have an obligation,” Erin Cramer, a study abroad alumni and mentor, said. “You choose when to meet and meet twice a week on your own terms, not through (the Padnos International Center).”
Currently, 60 study abroad alumni are paired with 80 international students, with some students doubling up on international mentees. Erin Cramer and Lauretta Sam were paired together at the beginning of the semester. Cramer studied abroad in Ghana and Sam is an exchange student from the same university, the University of Cape Coast, through a partnership program with GVSU.
“Study abroad alumni are in a unique position to be mentors,” said Lane. “They have lived abroad and know how it can be isolating. They’re in a good position to relate to international students with what they’re going through.”
Mentors act as students’ guides once they arrive at GVSU.
“There’s no map when you study abroad,” Sam said. “Once you get here (to GVSU) you get a map to show you around. I love the relationship I have with (Cramer). We do everything together. I love the program.”
Sam arrived in America two weeks before the semester began to get better accustomed to the culture. Cramer was more than eager to introduce her to American culture, including a trip to Michigan’s Adventure, a visit to Art Prize and shopping trips at the mall. In turn, Cramer was able to share with someone who understands her experiences in Ghana.
“It’s nice to talk about the differences you see,” said Cramer. “Americans don’t have much traditional culture, but when you study abroad you see a lot more of that. It’s nice to have someone who recognizes those differences too.”
With Sam’s presence in America, she is able to expose myths about Africa to those who are curious.
“People only see the bad side (of Africa),” said Sam. “They don’t show the good side.”
“She’s cleared up a lot of misconceptions,” added Cramer. “I think Africa’s the most misunderstood continent.”
Through Cramer, Sam has met other SAAA and international students.
“You feel you are home because there are so many people around you,” said Sam. “It’s hard to make friends in classes and at the bars, because everyone is on their phones.”
Both have gained positive experiences from the relationship.
“We always joke that she is the mother and I am the daughter,” said Cramer. “We always study at the library together and do homework. She keeps me on track.”
While many GVSU students may elect not to study abroad, this program more easily introduces students who have never been outside of the country to peers from all over the world.
“This is making our community more welcoming to international students and exposing us to other cultures through people in the program,” said Lane. “You can be at Grand Valley and still have an international experience and gain a global perspective. It doesn’t keep (Grand Valley) in a bubble.”