Sneak peek of Laker homecoming regents

Carly Simpson

Margie Munoz, junior

Majors: Women and Gender Studies, Communication Studies

Minor: French

Q: Why did you choose GVSU?

A: It was actually my backup and I didn’t get into my first choice. I tried my hardest to hate it and was planning to transfer after my first year. Clearly that didn’t go as planned; I fell in love with this place.

Q: What do you do in your spare time?

A: Spare time? That doesn’t exist. But if I ever get a second, I sit on my rug or read a book. I also love filling in the time between homework and meetings with time with sisters.

Q: What couldn’t you live without?

A: A few things I love: Clif Bars, vegan restaurants, cats and Converse high tops.

Anthony Clemons, junior

Majors: Sociology, Women and Gender Studies

Q: What’s your favorite thing about GVSU?

A: I love that no matter who you are or where you come from, you’re valued at Grand Valley. The university’s strong commitment to inclusiveness and its strong commitment to diversity help build not only Laker pride, but also a sense of being a Laker for a Lifetime.

Q: Where do you spend most of your time on campus?

A: I spend most of my time in the Student Organization Center at the Student Senate Office. It’s a nice place to study, debate issues on campus and get work done. Everyone should check it out at least once while they’re at GVSU!

Q: What was your dream job as a child? What is it now?

A: I used to want to be a math teacher. Now, all I could ever see myself do is social justice activism and working with often overlooked communities.

Tyler Dunham, junior

Majors: Marketing, Supply Chain Management

Q: What do you love about GVSU?

A: My favorite part about Grand Valley is the environment of being a bigger school that still has a small-school feel. Everyone here is family to one another and the support that students, organizations, faculty and staff show to one another is remarkable.

A: As a child my dream job was to follow my dad’s footsteps and become a firefighter, but it has now changed to being the founder and CEO of a successful nonprofit organization that focuses on leadership development and community service for young adults.

Q: What couldn’t you live without?

A: My family and friends, my dog, country music, Detroit sports and my fraternity.

Kayla Pollard, junior

Major: Spanish

Minor: Advertising and Public Relations

Q: What do you think it means to be a Laker?

A: To be a Laker is simply not just sending a check when you graduate every year, or to flaunt a decal on the back of your car, or, even better, just saying you attend Grand Valley. To be a Laker is a lifestyle. A Laker is a leader; a committed, dedicated, lifetime learner. A Laker is someone who wants to share service and their talents with not only the Grand Valley community, but with the world ahead of them.

Q: What do you love about GVSU?

My favorite thing about Grand Valley is the contagious atmosphere we have. I feel when I walk around on campus I am able to wave, have small conversations and smile at people that I have never met before. Although we may have never met, the bonds of our school pride have tied us together for a few minutes out of our day.

Q: What is a fun fact about you?

A: One quirky thing about me is that I am afraid of ketchup.

Timothy Layer, senior

Major: Sports Management

Minor: Hospitality and Tourism Management

Q: What is a memorable experience you have at GVSU?

A: One of the best experiences I have had is attending the convocation at the beginning of each school year. The convocation sets the tone for the year and introduces you to the many opportunities the university and community have to offer. The program not only makes me realize how much I have changed in four years, but how much Grand Valley has changed. I am proud to be a Laker and will always be mindful of all of the opportunities Grand Valley has given me and has inspired me to continue to be involved in.

Q: What was your childhood dream?

A: As a child, I always wanted to be in the NBA, after Michael Jordan. I held back on this one.

Q: What are some of your favorite things in life?

A: I am someone who could not live without coffee and Twix peanut butter candy. As a hobby, I like to play and watch anything with sports, and I also like to mix and play music as part of being a DJ. Anytime I can be outdoors, especially camping, is very refreshing. I also like kicking it back with friends and playing cards or video games.

Spencer Richardson, senior

Majors: International Relations, Advertising and Public Relations

Minor: French

Q: Why did you choose GVSU?

A: One, because it had an established program for international relations. Two, although cliché, it felt right like home. I knew after my first tour that GVSU was where I was meant to be.

A: As a child my dream was to be a marine biologist. My development, commingled with a fierce fear of sharks, has since steered me away from that career path.

Q: What are a few things you can’t live without?

A: In no particular order; coffee, crab rangoons, my family and friends.

Courtney Morey, senior

Major: Social Studies for Secondary Education

Q: What is your favorite thing about GVSU?

A: The community. I love being able to walk around campus and see someone I know. The professors really are unique to GVSU and get to know their students. They really do care about their students and how they succeed.

Q: Where can you be found most often?

A: I spend most of my time on campus working for facilities. I work in an area that most people never get to see and love driving around campus and learning where everything is at. Even as a senior I am finding really awesome places that most people do not know about like how cool the study area in the Seidman House is.

Q: What do you do in your spare time?

A: I rarely have free time, because I love working and being involved in student orgs, but when I do I love to go hiking around the area, watch “The Walking Dead” and hang out with friends. A few things I love are Slurpees, thunderstorms and movies. “Boondock Saints” and “The Breakfast Club” are my favorites.

Nathan Kalinowski, senior

Major: Biomedical Science

A: The approachable faculty and staff that are willing to make the extra effort to help their students, however they can. The smaller class sizes, beautiful campus and great health programs enticed me to attend GV.

Q: What are your hobbies or talents?

A: I get paid to ride a historic, 1870s high-wheel bicycle in period clothing, which is a lot of fun. One of my favorite things to do in my free time is to take photos of sports as landscape.

A: As a child I wanted to be a doctor of some sort. Today, I am in the middle of dental school interviews, so I guess it hasn’t changed much.

Kelsey Rice, senior

Major: Liberal Studies

Minor: Psychology

Q: What has been your most memorable or significant moment at GVSU?

A: The most meaningful experience I’ve had was getting elected vice president of Alternative Breaks. I first joined because I thought it’d be fun to do once or twice. I got hooked on the organization, though, and doing service for others.

Q: What is one of your quirks?

A: I have a backwards elbow. I broke it when I was 4, and the doctors set it incorrectly. Now it bends forward rather than backward.

Q: What does it mean to you to be a Laker?

A: To be a Laker means to be a leader. It means you are a friend and an active citizen.

Stephanie Ewart, senior

Major: Human Resource Management

Minor: Political Science

Q: What is one of GVSU’s strengths?

A: My favorite thing about Grand Valley is the strong sense of community. It is a rarity to walk five minutes without being stopped by a friend, professor, co-worker or simply a friendly acquaintance. Even though Grand Valley has grown tremendously, it still continues to have a small-school feel, which I love. Everyone at Grand Valley is so welcoming and I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.

Q: What is a fun fact about yourself?

A: This weekend I will be running my first marathon – yes, 26.2 miles – in downtown Grand Rapids. I am so incredibly excited to share homecoming and my marathon in the same weekend.

A: EOS lip balm – the huge circular one – so addicting; Lululemon Wunder Unders, the ones I own from before the CEO got fired; my running shoes and Bath and Body Works Candles. Oh, and hummus. This is a staple in my fridge.