Arts briefs 1/8/18

Grand Rapids Public Museum opens ‘Dragons, Unicorns and Mermaids’ exhibit

Now through May 20, the Grand Rapids Public Museum will be offering the exhibit “Dragons, Unicorns and Mermaids,” organized by the American Museum of Natural History. 

The exhibit will feature models, replicas and cast fossils of prehistoric animals and will examine how they may have influenced the development of mythological creatures. Admission is $12 for adults and $7 for children, with reduced prices for Kent County residents and members of the museum. 

Pianist Mika Sasaki to perform recital

Pianist Mika Sasaki will be performing a recital at Grand Valley State University on Friday, Jan. 19, at 7:30 p.m. in the Haas Center of Performing Arts. She will also be working with GVSU piano students in a master class on Saturday, Jan. 20, at 10 a.m. Both events are free and open to the public. 

GVSU presents ‘Anton, Himself: First and Last’

Grand Valley State University theater professor Roger Ellis will be performing “Anton, Himself: First and Last” in the Linn Maxwell Keller Black Box Theatre in the Haas Center for Performing Arts. 

Performances will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 19, and Saturday, Jan. 20, and again at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 21, followed by a reception. Admission is $12 for adults; $10 for alumni, seniors, faculty and staff; and $6 for students. 

GVSU to hold auditions for ‘J.B.’ and ‘No Exit’

Grand Valley State University’s theater department will be holding auditions for “J.B.” and “No Exit” on Friday, Jan. 19, from 7:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.; Saturday, Jan. 20, from noon to 3 p.m.; and Sunday, Jan. 21, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Auditions will be in the Haas Center for Performing Arts. 

Dance audition day

For students wanting to major or minor in dance or who are interested in taking a dance class, dance auditions will be held Friday, Jan. 19, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Haas Center for Performing Arts.   

Study-abroad ‘first step’ meetings

For those interested in studying abroad, the Padnos International Center offers “first step” meetings twice a week that cover funding, academic information and how to choose a program that’s right for you. Each Wednesday from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. and Friday from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m., students can stop by 130 Lake Ontario Hall on the Allendale Campus. The Padnos International Center also offers walk-in advising hours. 

Study-abroad fair

The Padnos International Center has a study-abroad fair planned for Thursday, Jan. 18, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. for students who are thinking about studying abroad or those who are planning to study abroad but need to decide on a program. At the fair, students can browse the study-abroad programs that GVSU offers, talk with students who participated in those programs and meet with program directors. There will also be free food.