Grand Ravines park renovates trails, dog park

GVL/Luke Holmes
This is a view overlooking the Grand River from behind the rest area on the north end of the Grand Ravines park.

GVL/Luke Holmes This is a view overlooking the Grand River from behind the rest area on the north end of the Grand Ravines park.

Katherine West

On 42nd Avenue and Filmore Street, past Campus View Apartments, the Ottawa County department of Parks and Recreation is in the process of opening the Grand Ravines park.

This park is currently open to the general public, but renovations to the area will continue in coming weeks. The Department of Parks and Recreation said it is not yet finished, but there are many exciting changes coming to it. The park will be a place for students to relax and get away from the stress of classes.

The park occupies 168 acres of land. North Grand Ravines features access to the ravines and views of the Grand River. South Grand Ravines is a farm area with some trails and parking at the moment.

John Schultz, Parks and Recreation director for Ottawa County, said the park will soon hold nature trails and picnic tables for the public to use.

“Upon the end of renovations, there will be a paved path from the south to the north side of the Grand Ravines park,” Schultz said. “This is done partly through an easement through Grand Valley State University and part of the path will cross GVSU property at one point.”

Grand Ravines South is the home of Ottawa County’s first fenced-in dog park. Upon full completion, the dog park will include 21 acres of land. There will be separated fenced areas for large and small dogs. There will also be fenced trails for off-leash walking.

“A colleague said to me the other day that the dog park will be great for students who are away from home and missing their pets. When missing their pets, the students can go and see dogs at the dog park in the Grand Ravines,” Shultz said.

Erika Taukert, freshman at GVSU, is very excited for all the park will have to offer once it is completed in the coming weeks.

“With the stress of classes piling up at times, it can be very nice and therapeutic to get off campus at times. I have frequented the ravine trails on campus quite a bit and I can’t wait to try out these new ones at the Grand Ravines park,” Taukert said. “It will be a very convenient place to go and hang out as it is only a short walk through south campus. Any day where you see a dog on or near campus is also a plus!”

The Parks and Recreation Department is also in the process of restoring a historic barn that is located in the Grand Ravines park. This barn is often a destination for photography.

The department also has a plan in store to eventually convert a building on the premises to a park lodge. This lodge will be available for the public to rent for weddings, open houses and other gatherings, Shultz said.