Bike tires slashed by south apartments

GVL/Bo Anderson

Photo Illustration

Bo Anderson

GVL/Bo Anderson Photo Illustration

Rachel Cross

On Jan. 6, 42 bike tires were slashed near the south apartments on Grand Valley State University’s Allendale Campus. Students are encouraged to offer any information about possible suspects so that students whose tires were slashed can receive restitution money.

Capt. Brandon DeHaan, assistant director of the Grand Valley Police Department, said that destroying someone else’s property is a senseless act.

“We have had a number of incidents with damage to university property and damage to bicycles,” DeHaan said. “We have not seen that type of damage specifically in one location.”

DeHaan said the GVPD has identified the bikes, but doesn’t have all the names of the individuals whose property was damaged.

“We have notified the individuals with bicycle permits, and we encourage all students to get them,” DeHaan said. “They are free and students can order them online on our website.”

He added that the rear tires of the bikes were damaged right down the row of the bike racks.

“The puncture marks on the bikes resembled that of a pocket knife,” DeHaan said.

He added that the department is currently looking for leads and any information about the suspect. Call the GVPD at 616-331-3255 with any information.
assistantnews@
lanthorn.com